Pages

7.14.2008

Support & Alignment

A few weeks ago when Chloe and I met with her neurologist, he expressed some serious concerns about the positioning of her legs and feet and suggested we get her in some DAFOs. That stands for Dynamic Ankle Foot Orthotics. He said they would help support and align her and get her prepared for the next milestones.


This probably seems horrible, but I had a really hard time with the idea of these braces, because I thought they would just bring more awareness to people that something is wrong with Chloe. The idea of this visual reminder that Chloe has physical disabilities and handicaps just about broke my heart. I never argued or fought the idea out loud, just within my subconcious. I prayed with more fervency and conviction that Chloe would be healed. "Please heal her," I would beg and beg.

One night after one of my desperate pleas to Heavenly Father, I was pondering in the quiet of the darkness with beautiful Chloe in my arms, and I remembered something sacred that happened when all of Chloe's health concerns were initially brought to our attention. When we got her first dose of seizure medication, before I gave it to her, I was reading the warnings that came with the prescription. The warnings were 2 pages long - in small font - it scared me to death.

I emotionally went to Oby and told him I wouldn't give her the medicine because there were too many risks. Oby and I take turns being emotional and/or logical. This night he recognized it was his turn to be logical, and he helped me understand that Chloe needed this medicine and we had to trust her doctor's decision to prescribe this to her. To help calm me, he asked his dad if we could come over to get a priesthood blessing.

I can't even explain the power that filled our lives that night. Oby's two best friends Tatum and Dallas also joined in the circle. All four of the men involved in the blessing are absolute physical and spiritual giants. I was given a blessing of comfort, Oby was given a blessing of encouragement, and sweet little Chloe was given a beautiful blessing. Chloe was told that she chose her infirmities before she came to earth to help strengthen her family, and that through faith and hard work she would be made whole. The spirit confirmed to me that this was true.

When I recalled that beautiful blessing the other night after begging for Chloe to be healed, I realized - I am the one who needs to be healed. Chloe has such an immense and wise spirit. She knew that her dad and I needed something to help us become humble, to rely on the atonement and on each other in a very real way. She gave up SO much so that she could help us! I am so incredibly blessed to be her mother.

Today we had an appointment to get her fitted for her own little custom DAFO's. The clinic was a pediatric rehab clinic, so in the waiting room I was surrounded by children with severe deformities and handicaps. It was a pleasure to be in their midst and to realize that I was blessed with one of those special spirits! They created casts that will be used to make DAFO's custom fit for her! Her very own DAFO's should be here in 2-3 weeks! Here's a picture of her cute little casts....




When I was driving home, I was thinking how grateful I now am for the DAFO's. I'm excited for them to come. I am glad that the spirit humbled me to go from resenting the idea of these braces to being very grateful for them. They are going to support and align Chloe and assist all of us on that road toward her becoming whole. I looked in the back seat to see Chloe sleeping. She was so peaceful and, I've said it before, she smiles and giggles in her sleep - it is the cutest thing ever!




I realized that Chloe is kind of like a DAFO for me. She supports me. By choosing the life she chose, she reminds me to be humble, to believe in miracles, to have hope and faith, to rely on prayer, and many other wonderful things. She aligns my thinking to have an eternal perspective, to realize that some things just don't matter, and to be kind and charitable to everyone. She offers the support and alignment so I can be better prepared for the future. I am so grateful to have little Chloe in my life. She is a true joy to me!



"And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
"Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him."
~John 9:2–3

64 comments:

taynorseth said...

Chloe truly is a blessing to all of us. I really can't wait to see you all again and give that little fart a great big kiss. I swear you always post these emotional blogs when I am having a very trying time in my life and they always, first make me sob, but in the end put life into perspective. Thank you and I love you guys.

Baxter Bruner said...

You talked about Mike and Oby's two friends of being spiritual giants. I believe that you are right up there with them. You always have such insightful and positive things to say. You and Oby are extremely wonderful parents and are growing! We love you guys!

Baxter Bruner said...

Baxter was actually Emma.

The Pachuilo Family said...

Tara & Oby you two are so amazing I always love to read your blog and see how the whole family is. And Tara you are so amazing!!! You are such a wonderful mom and you are always looking at your situations in such a positive attitiude! Chloe is so lucky to have you as a mom.
I am sure she is loving now that you are at home with her all the time.
We love you all and miss you!

Anonymous said...

We love you Chole, Tara and Oby!!
Love, your friend Melissa, Jake Mann and Safari and Houston!

Givinya De Elba said...

Happy SITS day Tara!

Rachael said...

What an absolutely beautiful post.

When I recalled that beautiful blessing the other night after begging for Chloe to be healed, I realized - I am the one who needs to be healed.

That part especially touched me and opened my eyes a little bit. Thank you for posting this wonderful reminder that things aren't always what they seem.

Anonymous said...

Awww this post made me cry...thank you so much for this post.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you have yourself a little blessing there.

Happy SITS week!

Tiny Tutus said...

Absolutely beautiful...Chloe, your spirit, your insight, your heart...everything about your family is beautiful!

I'm so glad I was brought here by SITS!

wendy said...

That is truly beautiful. Happy SITS day and know Chloe is lucky to have you as her mom.

Mimi said...

You are so lucky to have Chloe in your lives & she is luck to have you.

Enjoy your SITS day!

Heather said...

The 3 of you are blessed to have each other. Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful post. I'm running out of kleenex.........

Melissa ♥ Spoiled Mommy said...

Wow-your writings are wonderful, the love for your child that shines through is incredible & very touching.

Anonymous said...

The immense love you show for your child through your beautiful writing comes through so powerfully. Your testimony must be incredible!

So glad to have discovered you through SITS!

Anonymous said...

She is so stinkin' cute!

wenderful said...

Happy SITs day! What a wonderful mom you are. That was just what I needed to hear today. Have a wonderful Monday!

Anonymous said...

I especially love the verse you ended with, I hadn't pondered that one in a few years and it is great timing for me, so thank you for that. I appreciate your honesty in this post; I think that by laying bare all of your thoughts and emotions you are touching a lot of people. And I think those little pink braces are so cute!

Heather said...

Surely you are blessed to have Chloe in her life, but she is blessed to have the exact mother that God chose for her.

Your love for your sweet daughter shines right off my computer screen. Beautiful post.

Have a great SITS day in the proverbial sun!

Cammie said...

she is so precious!

Erika said...

What wonderful insight!

Heather said...

Chloe is such an ispiration.

Team Och said...

This post is such a beautiful reminder in appreciating the blessings in everything. Thank you for this!

said...

Thank God for the technologies that exist to help and support tiny Chloe! :o) I'm sure she is rocking those stylish pink DAFOs!

Coffee with Cathy said...

What a testament of faith! Think of all the SITS readers you'll touch today and what good your words have done.

Unknown said...

Visiting from SITS...Chloe is absolutely beautiful! God's blessings to all of you.

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

Thanks for sharing your posts with us through SITS. I will have to stop back in often to hear how you and Chloe are doing. Happy New Year. *hugs*

Whitney said...

Tara,

Yay for being the featured blogger!
What a beautiful post. It is truly a wonderful thing to have the gospel in our lives! And if I'm not mistaken, you got married in my home town's temple? Are you from there?

Whitney

Shalee- Be Speechless said...

The Priesthood is an amazing thing isn't it? What blessings and comfort comes from it.

This post made me tearful as well as thoughtful. Thank you for your insight and inspiration.

April said...

Chloe is a "keeper"!

Crazy Momma said...

Running for the tissues now...

You are an amazing woman and Chloe is one amazing little girl!

Sherrie said...

Thanks for sharing your post and story with us through SITS. Again, your writing is just beautiful. You really have a way with words. God has blessed you immensely. Your daughter is beautiful, and she has a very loving mother. Stay strong!

Lizzie said...

what a beautiful post. it is truly amazing how God blesses us in so many unseen ways. i wish you nothing but the best in 2009 (came over from SITS!)

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Okay...SITS put the tissue warning on the butterfly post. It should be on this one.

Our children have so much to teach us. I often wish I didn't have a lesson to learn :-)

Heather and Daniel said...

I do believe that our children teach us so much. From these few posts that I have read I can tell that Chloe has an awesome spirit.

Heather and Daniel said...

I do believe that our children teach us so much. From these few posts that I have read I can tell that Chloe has an awesome spirit.

Preston said...

What a beautiful, happy little girl you have. I believe that God gives us all we need to meet whatever challanges that come our way. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. The blessings of the Priesthood bring so much comfort.

Elizabeth M Thompson said...

What a treasure you have in Chloe. All children are special, all children are blessings and all children are gifts from God. But not all parents recognize these things. You certainly do! Thanks for sharing your struggles and your discoveries with your readers. Happy SITS day!

Ash said...

Oh Tara, those days when things seem so clear are true blessings. Makes it all worth while.

You're a great Mama!!

Mrsbear said...

Thank you for sharing your touching story. Have a wonderful week.

Anna Lefler said...

What a lovely, lovely post. I truly admire your view of life and wish you all the very best in 2009!

:^) Anna

RuensOnTheRun said...

What a touching post! We do learn daily from God and our children, if we are open to it! Great post!!

Katie Stacey said...

Another beautiful and powerful post. The power of the priesthhood is real! Thank you so much for sharing.

Vickie said...

Another wonderful post. Brought me to tears. It reminds me of everthing I need to be thankful for and not hang on to the bad baggage in my life. Thank you.

Chloe is such a cutie. I love that photo of her in the back seat sleeping.

Happy SITS day!

Reeni said...

Your writing is so beautiful and moving. We can all learn something from Chloe.

Leslie said...

No matter what else is going on with her, your little Chole is a beautiful little girl.

- a SITSta

Courtney said...

What an inspiration you are! She is so precious!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

came over from SITS..happy FB!!!

ok, i am already loving u and ur fam as u allow the Lord to mold and make u his...and i can see that after this post! yea!

Anonymous said...

wow - when are you writing your book? I am sitting here bawling - how beautiful this is! Thank you for opening your heart & soul and for sharing it with SITS.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful.......

Rhea said...

Chloe is so cute. She has the best smile in your photos. You sound like you've been through a lot with her, but it just makes you appreciate her more, right?!

Mammatalk said...

What a beautiful post. What a loving family you have!

Ali said...

Chloe is so beautiful! Here's to new year full of many more blessings:)

JessicaMarie said...

This is such a beautiful post.

Chloe reminds me of a little girl I once met who taught me a lesson I hope to cherish forever. I think I'll go blog about it today in case you'd like to check it out.

Your little one is such a blessing!

Melissa Lester said...

May God bless your sweet little family always!

Jeanne Estridge said...

Mrs. B, you've got a lovely daughter....

Momma Chae said...

What a beautiful message of acceptance and faith!

Carey said...

Happy SITS Day and God Bless you and your family!

Ronnica said...

That's so cute that she giggles and smiles in her sleep!

Michelle said...

Here's hoping that the DAFO's do their jobs and that the next steps are positive ones.

And I know how you feel on the medicine... I'm holding off on trying one with nasty side effects in the hopes I can find a simpler cure, but who knows where this will lead.

Alicia @ Oh2122 said...

Isin't it amazing how or children are able to tech us things we could or would not learn on our own?

And my little one laughs in his sleep too. It's wonderful!

Jessica G. said...

I had a similar experience when my oldest had to wear a helmet when she was just nine months old. I cringed with all the stares and whispered comments. Thanks for your insight and helping me to remember the good that came from that.

(From SITS!)