Pages

10.26.2008

Temporary Separation

Last Saturday, I received a phone call that a family friend's husband had been shot and killed near their home in a Phoenix suburb. He is survived by his sweet wife, Susie. They have one 2-year-old son and Susie is 8 weeks pregnant.

Susie's husband, Brad, had always been a blessing to Susie. She has significant health problems (Cystic Fibrosis and heart problems), and he had taken such good care of her. She wasn't able to drive herself, because her heart problems often caused her to pass out unexpectedly. But Brad supported Susie's desire to succeed, and would attend college classes with her. They had recently finished putting in a garden and a backyard for their little son to play in. Brad worked hard to provide a good life and home for his family. His presence will be sorely missed by his little family. Thanks to a thorough investigation by the officers, the young men who participated in taking Brad's life are in custody.

It was a blessing to be at Brad's funeral. Susie has miraculous strength that she has found through prayer and family support. In the funeral, the speakers told many stories of Brad and his eagerness to serve: his ailing wife, he spent time as a volunteer in Mongolia, and neighbors. The day he met this awful fate, he had spent the day roto-tilling a neighbor's garden even though they had just purchased flagstone and bulbs to put in their yard, but Susie said it was more important for Brad to help the neighbors. Susie and the other speakers were adamant that they had not only forgiven the young men who took Brad's life, but were praying for them, for the pain they had brought upon themselves and their own families because of their choices. I am amazed at this level of forgiveness and love. They asked the congregation to do the same. I'm praying just to get to that point. For now, I pray for Susie and their children, for Susie's parents and Brad's parents. I will continue to seek spiritual progression for the rest of their request.

I have since found out that the two young men involved in Brad's death wanted to steal a car to get to a party, so one pretended to be hurt in the middle of the road. Brad stopped to give assistance when he was shot from behind. He lived serving others and he died serving others. Susie is astonishingly happy and comforted by the eternal bond she has with her husband. She told me, with a smile on her face, "Brad made it to heaven, so now I have to live every day so that I can make it to heaven too!"

I am grateful for the faith shared by Susie and myself, to know that families are eternal, and that Brad and Susie's separation is only temporary. I am grateful for the knowledge that I am an eternal family with Oby and Chloe. This knowledge brings peace and comfort to my heart every single day, because as Susie learned, you never know what tomorrow will bring.

11 comments:

Celine said...

That is just so sad and yet so powerful...
Susie is strong beyond words. I guess Faith really can make you "overcome" the worst.
Thanks for sharing her story with us.

Natalia said...

My condolences...I'm at a loss for words. He was a wonderful person, as is she.

Anonymous said...

So sad, I am so sorry that your friend and you have to go through this. What an incredible man he was! It sounds like his wife is a pretty amazing woman herself! My thoughts are with you and that family.

♥ Becky ♥ said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss that you and your friend has endured.
His wife is a very special person to request that everyone pray for the men who did this. And I can honestly understand why that would be hard for you to do right now.
He sounded like an amazing person, husband and father.
You are right, it is only temporary separation as they will be together in heaven again.

Half a dozen Gregersens said...

I found your blog off of Daily Scoop. I moved from Syracuse a year ago when I married my husband. Love that little town. Sorry to hear of your lost. What a blessing it is to know that Families are forever.

BPOTW said...

What faith and strength. I can't even imagine. Your friend will definitely need the prayers of you and her friends and family.

Thanks for submitting again.

Anonymous said...

My sympathies to Susie and her family. What a tragic loss. My prayer is that the Lord would be her strength and comfort. I just can't imagine myself in that situation without Jesus and the family of God that carry her on wings of prayer to the Father's throne.

Joy said...

We just can't make any sense of this. This is so heartbreaking. My prayers will be with this young wife and her children. God put him on this earth for a purpose and it sounds like he definitely lived each day to its fullest. God Bless this family.

Unknown said...

It's too hard to make sense of events like these. Susie is right in forgiving, remembering Brad, and moving on taking care of her children. Her family will have to really pull together with her pregnancy and health.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I struggle to have that good of an attitude during small crises in my life - much less the large ones.

And she's right - this is all just temporary and she will be reunited with her husband and, more importantly, her savior one day soon enough.

Thanks for the reminder of what's really important in life.

Anonymous said...

how sad. God bless them. thanks for sharing.