Pages

11.03.2008

Lecture on Life

I've heard all about Randy Pausch's famous 'Last Lecture.' I thought I understood what it consisted of and didn't need to listen to it. But this morning, as I was scurrying about doing my usual routine, I decided to listen to that rather than my typical iTunes playlist.

That was a good decision. It was a beautiful reminder of how precious every moment is, and to make all those little moments count! It takes awhile to watch, but I promise it's worth it!


(just pause my music to the right before you hit play)....





If I haven't convinced you to watch it, or if you'd like a refresher course, here are a few notes I took from it:

If there's an elephant in the room, introduce them.


We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.


The inspiration and the permission to dream is huge.


It's important to have specific dreams.


When you're screwing up and nobody says anything to you anymore, that means they gave up on you.... Your critics are the ones telling you they still care.


Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.


Brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want things. (Some brick walls are made of flesh). Brick walls let us show our dedication.


Wait long enough, and people will surprise and impress you.


Respect authority while questioning it.


I'm dying and I'm having fun. I'm going to keep having fun every day I have left.... You just have to decide if you're Tigger or Eyore.


Never lose the child-like wonder. It's too important.


Help others.


Loyalty is a two-way street.


Never give up.


Accept help from other people. You can't get there alone.


Tell the truth. Be earnest. Apologize when you screw up. Focus on others, not yourself.


Don't bail. The best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap.


When you do the right thing, good stuff has a way of happening.


When people give you feedback, cherish it and use it. (don't be defensive, don't make excuses)


Show gratitude.


Don't complain; just work harder.


Be good at something. It makes you valuable.


Find the best in everybody. Just keep waiting no matter how long it takes. No one is all evil. The good will come out.


Be prepared. Luck is truly where preparation meets opportunity.


It's not about achieving your dreams. It's about leading your life. If you live your life the right way, the dreams will come to you.


This is my mom with Chloe after a week of separation while my mom was on vacation. Reunion is sweet bliss for the two of them, as you can see! By the time my mom was my age, both her parents and one sibling had died. My mom understands that life is fragile. Every single time we leave, I sense her feeling that something bad very well may happen to us and she may never see us again. There is always a long embrace, a slightly emotional, 'I love you,' and a desperate plea to drive safely as we go home. I tease her about this, especially since we live only a block away. But today as I thought about Professor Pausch's children being able to have this legacy of their dad and his life lessons, I thought about my mom. She too has given me a legacy. I never, ever question her love and concern for me, my husband, and my Chloe.

Well, it's easy to love Chloe so that's not so amazing. But me - I'm not nearly as lovable, and she still manages. I'm grateful for that.

So how did I proceed with my day after being so inspired? Nothing dramatic, I just went along as usual, only with a little more gratitude and umph. I dragged out the Thanksgiving decorations and found one of my favorites - Turkey Tom. Chloe was a fan too!

She played with him during music therapy tonight. I think she's found herself a new friend!

11 comments:

Tinabean said...

I love that lecture I cried through out it.
I saw him when he was on Oprah.
Your little chloe is so adorable.
I get uplifted every time I read your blog, Thank You.
You are an Amazing Woman.

Celine said...

Very, very inspiring...wow...
Turkey Tom just rocks! I love him!

Tabitha Blue said...

Those pictures are so sweet and priceless!! I've heard so much about that lecture and haven't listened yet! Now I really need to. I'm getting ready to run out and vote, but I'll try to stop back later to watch it! Thanks for sharing it!

Sandy said...

Thanks for sharing ! I have seen it before, but it's always good to have a "refresher".

nikkicrumpet said...

The stuff he says is so simple...but makes so much sense. We all need a little reminder now and then...and some of us like me need a big boot in the behind! Loved the picture of your mom with your munchkin...what a precious sight!

Emma said...

Brian asked me the other day why I check your blog every morning even when I am in a hurry. After reading and listening to your post this morning. He now has an understanding. You always have either an uplifting or funny post and it just makes my day that much more enjoyable. You have inspired me to do many things that I would not have done. Thank you so much for all that you do. I am so happy you are part of our family and my only regret is that I don't live close enough to enjoy you and Chloe more. Love ya!!

Queenie Jeannie said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

I've never seen this, and today I needed to! If you want to know why, go read today's post on my blog!

♥ Becky ♥ said...

Oh I am right in the middle of reading his book. So far I have been very inspired. I missed out on a lot of opportunities with my Dad when he suddenly passed. I hope to grab as many moments as I can with my kids every day.

Anonymous said...

Such an amazing lecture. He is so very inspiring.
Thank you for making me watch it again.
PS
What a wonderful thing to say about your mother.

Bramblemoon Farm said...

You HAVE to stop making me cry:) I do have to disagree with on one thing. You say "But me - I'm not nearly as lovable". From what I've read in your blogs you ARE very loveable. I know Chloe learned to be loveable from you, and your husband. She is a reflection of the love you show her:)

BPOTW said...

I saw Randy on Oprah (one of the few times I've watched her) and it was an impressive speech. I just wish he would have expressed a desire for people to know Christ. I love how you've found inspiration in your mother's love. And I love those pics!