Pages

2.04.2009

Uphill in a Storm

"Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel." ~Aesop



Grandpa Phil, Mike and Tami in Yellowstone, January 2008





I posted this picture once before, and my MIL Tami recently posted this photo also. It's getting a lot of attention, this one little photo. But it speaks volumes to me. This is a picture of Oby's grandpa being pushed in a wheelchair, uphill, in a snowstorm, by his son-in-law and daughter (Oby's parents). And look at Grandpa Phil's face - look closely - see that giant smile?



Oby's Grandpa Phil has a condition called Ataxia. I've been told Ataxia is like a combination of Lou Gehrig's disease and Multiple Sclerosis. Basically, he has slowly been losing control of his body for years now. But every single time you see Grandpa Phil - EVERY time - if you ask, "How are you doing, Grandpa?" or "How are you feeling?" He will answer something like, "It's the best day of my life!" or "Never been better!"



To mimic a quote by my friend Keri, Grandpa Phil is a man who has Ataxia, but Ataxia does not have him. His strong spirit and positive attitude cannot be taken.



I hope next time I'm in my proverbial 'uphill trek in a storm,' that my face can be reminiscent of Grandpa Phil's in this photo. Maybe I'll need assistance from others, like Grandpa Phil got in this situation. Is that hard for a stubborn person like myself (and Grandpa Phil, mind you) to accept? You bet! But is it okay to need help when you're unable to do something on your own? Of course! What if there is no one there behind us to help us up the hills in life?



Trust me.


There is always someone there to help us.



"Do the very best you can. And when you have done that, you just place the matter in the hands of the Lord. Go forward with faith."


~Gordon B. Hinckley



28 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

This is not only a beautiful tribute, it's making a very profound statement that we should all 'listen' to!!!

My Wordful is ...

THE NIÑA, THE PIÑA, & THE SANTA MARIA....all three in Corpus Christi. Come by for a visit, wont' you? Happy Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture and I love how you expressed yourself in words about it. :)

Anonymous said...

Great picture. He sounds like an amazing man.

Brenda said...

Very touching. I want to be positive when I am old!

Doublebanker said...

Could be a combo tribute Tuesday...good post and photo of a funfilled day!


My WondWed post

Sandy said...

I love this picture! What a great family:0)

Jodi said...

I love his big smile! What a nice picture and words!

Anonymous said...

Awesome picture! It says alot about the family.

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

That is an incredible picture, and he sounds like such an incredible man! Your post made me tear up. :)

Kim said...

That picture is so symbolic. In my life, it would be my family in front, me in the middle, and God in the back.

www.AForestFrolic.typepad.com said...

I LOVE IT! What a great attitude to have...beautiful picture Tara :-)

Heatherlyn said...

Thanks Tara. That is a fantasticly uplifting post! It's a great thing to ponder. :)

Angela said...

Great picture and I love how you always make me THINK about things that I wouldn't have before! I never would have thought all of that from just that "little photo" but.....wow you are good!

Amanda said...

Such great advice, Tara. I would give anything for anyone I love but have the hardest time asking for help myself. I'm trying to reach out and ask for things when I need them. To ask for the help when I'm sturggling!

Grandpa Phil sure sounds like he's one great guy!

~pen~ said...

You always know how to capture a moment. :)

Unknown said...

What a great pic and a great story! Life is 90% attitude, isn't it?

Thanks so much for sharing this great story!

CreativeMish said...

That is a fabulous photo. I love that joyful expression on his face. I love your President Hinckley quote!

Loralee and the gang... said...

Amazing man. Life is always better when we realize others have it way worse than we do and still love life!
:~D

vsm/whirling dirvish photography said...

Great pic! And of course so eloquently put! Have a wonderful Thursday!

Nana said...

Oh Tara, You always make me cry!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

I'm with Nana. I have tears streaming down my face as I read your post, Tara.

You have the most fantastic perspective of anyone I think I have ever come across. Honestly, it picks me up when I am feeling blue. Thank you!

-Francesca

Grand Pooba said...

Very inspirational!

Tinabean said...

You are an amazing woman.
You come from amazing families.
I love to read your blog it always brings me to tears, makes me smile bigger than I usually do, or gives me hope & inspiration.
I haven't been on as much as I should or would like to but I just want you to know that you are amazing!!!

Suzi said...

You are very lucky to have such a wonderful and supportive family. I love the smie.

Mandy said...

I loved this post!! So true!! All we can do is our very best!! How grateful I am to be able to go forward with faith even when everything around you seems like one big storm!! You are so inspiring thank you!!

Anonymous said...

That is a GREAT picture!

Anonymous said...

That would totally win a contest!

Keri said...

Sounds like Grandpa Phil has a heart of gold! Beautiful post!