Pages

7.04.2009

Update, Silver Linings & Happy 4th of July From Chloe!

Update on Wyatt (It's good news!)....



Waiting was awful, but once Wyatt got to the Burn Trauma ICU, he was being taken care of by the best there is! They evaluated him and told us that he had 2nd degree burns to 6% of his body. His left leg had it the worst, and his right leg was 1st degree burn - like a very bad sunburn. There is one spot on his left leg that they believe may be 3rd degree, they are watching it very closely. He was in quite a bit of pain, but they have been able to control it for the most part. When he first saw me, he asked me if I could please take the blanket off his leg because it was hot. There was no blanket on his leg (and he was a little doped on morphine). Poor thing, but he's such a trooper and so brave! We were all worried that he would be so scared being life flighted all by himself (they wouldn't let either of his parents go with him), but he actually thought it was cool! Also when they were first looking at the burns and putting on the bandages, the doctor said instead of screaming or crying that it hurt (like most people do), he just grit his teeth and asked if they could please put some cream or cold water on his leg. The general rule is that people who are burned stay in the Burn Trauma ICU for as many days as the percentage of their body that is burned, so since he has 6% burns, he will be in there for about 6 days.

We have found many silver linings to our dark cloud of Wyatt hurting himself yesterday. First, and most importantly, Wyatt has officially learned his lesson about playing with matches. Also, we hardly ever get to see my brother and his family because they live in Montana, but this forces them to spend some time in Utah - and I for one love it! I know it was hard for them to leave their business (they run a hotel in Yellowstone - and 4th of July weekend is one of the busiest times for them), but it is so nice to be able to be with them! It's especially fun to see the newest addition to their family, little Isabella. She was just born in March and I haven't seen her since the day she was born! But it was worth the wait, she is just a joy!....



Also, since I was at the hospital waiting for and being with Wyatt yesterday, Oby got 90% of our house painted (without me)! He says I'll do anything to get out of painting! hehehe, He's right! But I made up for it today and painted most of the finishing touches and one full room.

Chloe is so cute during any holiday. I think she can sense excitement, and it makes her excited too! Here she is to wish everyone a Happy 4th of July, and show off some of her cute red, white & blue outfits....



Thank you again, everyone, for your love and support on my family's behalf! I love having this avenue of keeping close with so many friends and having their support when I need it! Thank you! Thank you! And Happy 4th of July!!!

10 comments:

ParkerMama said...

SO glad that Wyatt is doing better.

And a guy that paints? He's a keeper for sure!

Tammy and Parker
www.prayingforparker.com
www.5minutesforspecialneeds.com
@ParkerMama on Twitter

Bramblemoon Farm said...

I'm so glad he's okay. I can't imagine how scared everyone was. What a frightening less to have to learn.

Miss Chloe is just stunning as usual in her festive outfits. I LOVE her sunglasses especially:)

Shelly said...

Chloe is as cute as always.

Congrats on getting so much of the house painted. Go, Oby!

I'm so glad to hear that Wyatt is doing so much better than expected. It sounds like he should be feeling so much better very soon. The helicopters used for flights like that are so small, it's no wonder he had to go alone, but so great that he did so well. He's braver than I would've been!

Mel said...

So glad he's ok!! I'm so glad that you were able to be there to wait for him, and also glad that you get to see your brother and his family.... FAMILY IS AWESOME!!

Chloe is so dang cute in all of her festive outfits...love the glasses!! Too cute!!:)

Heatherlyn said...

I'm glad it sounds like he will recover! It's nice to be able to spend time with family, even if the circumstances are not ideal. That little baby girl is so beautiful!

Happy Sunday!

Melanie said...

So glad Wyatt is doing well.
I had a horrible experience about 15 yrs ago with burns. I can imagine that he is feeling a ton of pain. I hope the recovery goes well and he heals quickly.

Colleen said...

OH I am so glad it wasnt more serious...hopefully he heals quickly! I was very nervous as my husband went through a bad burn accident, so when I hear about stuff like that I get very nervous. My husband was burned by flyash while working and spent a couple months in the hospital. This time of year I always wonder why the heck he wants to light off fireworks knowing the dangers...but he does...yet he cant stand being in the hospitals and gets sick to his stomach when he has to be there even though it isnt for him.

Cynthia said...

I'm so glad things were not as bad as it sounded in the first post- though still plenty scary! We'll continue to add our prayers to the many going up on the family's behalf.

Mandy said...

I am glad it turned out ok and will keep him in our prayers!! I LOVE the burn unit there!!! Tucker stuck his feet on the fireplace about 5 years ago and got 3rd degree burns on both feet and had to have skin grafts. That was such a hard time luckily he couldn't feel it but that is also bad because he kept them there longer than most because of that !! So Sorry to hear about your nephew but we will send prayers your way!!
Love the picutres Chloe is as cute as ever!! Sounds like a fun 4th
We had to go private for a short time some crazy stuff was happening so I hope to be back up and running in a couple of weeks!!

Sherry C said...

I just found your blog it's so cute!! I love it. . Wyatt story gives me the chills it's so scary to me as i have a curios 9 year old that played with matches a few months ago he was lucky in that the only thing hurt was a patch of my bedroom carpet but i hate to think of what could have been. He got fire prevention training after the fact from a group which works with youths in our area. I'm happy to read Wyatts doing well.