Pages

1.05.2011

An Invitation to *Wink*

Imagine yourself pregnant. You're expecting a sweet little bundle of joy with ten tiny fingers and ten tiny toes. You go in for the ultrasound and you're told your baby very well may not be born alive. And that if your baby is born alive, he most likely will not live long.

And then he is born alive.... with ten tiny fingers and ten tiny toes.... plus one eye and one amazing spirit....


Miraculously he lives long enough that you get to take him home where he will stay on hospice care because you are told he will not live long.

And then he lives. He lives 6 days, then 6 months.... He lives so long that eventually you take him off hospice care. You love him. He grows. He touches you in ways you couldn't imagine.

And he lives to celebrate his 6th birthday.


This is what my friend April is experiencing this week. Her Caleb is turning SIX!

She has a special request of everyone who wants to participate in Caleb's birthday wish, but before I tell you about that, I want to share just a little lesson that Caleb taught me.

Caleb's story was one of the very first ones I shared on the kidz blog. His story touched me so profoundly that I spent the better part of two days reading every single post on his blog because I just couldn't get enough of Caleb and his little lessons and his special mom and her little lessons. Chloe couldn't get enough either! She would smile and squeal in excitement every time she saw a picture of Caleb on the computer screen. And so I all but stalked them down because I knew we simply had to be friends. I didn't actually stalk them, people, sheesh! With permission, I met up with April once when Caleb was in the hospital, then since then we've had a few special lunches and never miss each others' blog posts.

Wow. I am wordy, aren't I?!?! TMI all the way. Let me get to point.

So the first day I met Caleb was a little over a year ago. I had a specific issue on my mind that I had been fretting over for weeks and praying about for just as long. I couldn't let this issue go and didn't know what to do about it.

Then I met Caleb.

The issue quite simply disappeared. Just being around Caleb touched me so much. It was like his heart reached out and touched mine and told me that the answer was love. And when I put love into the equation, the issue was resolved. Love was the answer.

Love is the answer. When we strip away all the complexities of the world, when we really get at the root of each of us -- the simplest most inner parts -- all that really matters is that we can love and be loved. That is what Caleb teaches me.

He is a little wink from heaven that reminds us to love and let everything else go.

So now to a special Birthday request from Caleb's mom, April.....


~~~~~

Caleb celebrates his 6th birthday this week!
My little miracle turns 6!
He's old enough to be in kindergarten!
He has 2 wiggly front teeth!


To an outsider looking in, his physical capabilities haven't changed much since he was a baby.
His body isn't able to hold his head, to sit or to stand.
His mouth doesn't know how to eat.
He needs help to breathe.
His eyes don't always see.
His muscles need help to stretch and reach.
He loves to be held.


Yet...
insiders know


Caleb lifts
His smile radiates
He breathes hope
He winks
He reaches out
He holds us


Caleb loves. Really loves.
His little wink reminds us every day that love is his mission.
So this year Caleb has a special birthday wish for each of you.





WINK





Find a way to love someone. Really love someone.





*lift* smile* hope* wink*
*reach out* hold*





If you'd like to take the challenge, leave us a comment telling us where you're from - then spread the word! Let's see if we can share a Wink around the World for my little boy who has never uttered a word, yet who says so much- with a little wink.

~~~~~

I'm going to reach out and wink..... Are you???

13 comments:

jennohara said...

I'm definitely going to wink! Who could say anything else to that sweet sweet face!!

Grand Pooba said...

That is such a sweet story!!!

;)

(That's a wink right?)

Unknown said...

I'm Amy from North Carolina and I will WINK today too! ;)

Jeri Dawn said...

Awwwhhh. Tell Caleb that I have six year old too! Her name is Mialee and she is in first grade. She kissed a boy on the bus yesterday, that little stinker! We will both wink for you up here in freezing cold Logan! Thanks for sharing and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

April said...

Oh my goodness Tara, I'm crying. Thank you with all of my heart. I love you sweet friend. XOXOXOX

Anonymous said...

Carlee, Carson and I are all "winking" for Caleb in Virginia. What a GREAT gift request. Happy Birthday cute little Caleb. Thanks for being such a sweet boy who teaches us all to try and be a little bit nicer and better every day. April you're an amazing Mom. Keep up the great work. The world needs WAY more Mom's like both you and Tara. HUGS!

Becky said...

ABSOLUTELY I did! :) I wouldn't have missed it. What a beautiful tribute Tara! You're just as amazing...you and little Chloe. xo

Shelly said...

What a wonderful, wonderful wish! I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes thinking of the inspiration of cute Caleb. I've never met him, but he and his mom seem to be so full of love and hope! It gives me hope as I prepare for my own 6-year-old's semi annual heart check up. His next surgery creeps closer each time we head to the doc, but I'm happy to follow Caleb's example and wink. Seriously. Tears in the eyes!

Jamie said...

Oh what a sweet boy. Thanks for sharing this sweet story with us. Life's problems seem so silly when we just "wink".

Bugg's mama said...

What a beautiful post about the Wink from Heaven!

Love, Bree

Anonymous said...

My name is Shelley and I am "winking" from Columbus, IN and will encourage all around me to do the same. What a blessing from God.

Nana said...

Little Wink is one of my favorites from Kidz. He is a doll. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

Our little family said...

I met Caleb this summer and what a sweetie he is! Happy Birthday Caleb! I'm winking from Utah along with my special little girl.