Pages

10.07.2008

Relishing in Simplicity

"The deterioration of family relationships... can result when we spend excess time on ineffective activities that yield little spiritual sustenance. To innovate does not necessarily mean to expand; very often it means to simplify." ~Dallin H. Oaks

I've been thinking a lot about simplifying our life, especially since I decided to quit my job and sell our home so I could stay home with my special needs child, and also because of the country's economic crisis. Even though 'simplifying' is at the forefront of my mind, I tend to lose sight of it spending so much of my time on menial tasks. Today, after a week of my daughter fighting a bad infection, she is finally feeling and acting better. Initially, I thought, 'Good, now I can get some things done!' Then I realized, she and I needed to spend some quality time together. We just went outside and enjoyed the crisp fall air while lying on the grass and looking up at the clouds. She baby babbled and giggled, she loved the fresh air after being couped up for a week. Then we came in and did some stretching and listened to music (one of my favorite passtimes). Before I knew it my husband was walking through the door, and the day had passed. Normally I would think, 'what a waste of a day, I didn't even get the laundry done,' but today I am relishing in simplicity and grateful I had some ordinary but special moments with my sweet girl.

5 comments:

Shelly said...

You're a wise woman, Tara. You amaze me!

Anonymous said...

That is a great post! Somedays spent doing nothing are the most fulfilling days of them all!

Nathan and Dianna Wiley said...

You are such a great mom! Our calling in life is our children, and we do forget that sometimes! Thanks for reminding us all! I look forward to seeing you guys at the village, call me with details!

Mrs. Bennett said...

Sounds like a rewarding day. Thanks for the reminder!

Erin said...

Found you through SITS! Great playlist! I LOVE the pumpkin cupcakes! I need to make those with my kids!