Pages

10.08.2008

The Sound of Music


Music has always been a big part of my life. From the moment I could walk, I would always go into the room where our piano was so I could plunk on the keys. Ever since then, I have found joy and solace by playing the piano.

I've always believed that every day and memory has a soundtrack, so I love getting the perfect mix of tunes to listen to on my iPod. Music is good for the soul!....it is healing.


So when I heard about The Listening Program after finding out about Chloe's neurological deficits, I immediately wanted to sign up! It is a program that maximizes auditory processing through music. There are many studies that prove this type of therapy brings about miraculous changes in people with disabilities, allowing them to achieve more than those who do not participate in this type of therapy. I have been so anxious to get Chloe started in this program, but I've had to face some obstacles. Usually they don't allow children in the program who are below the age of 2, but I'm not a 'follow the rules' kind of a mom. I prefer doing what makes sense and what is best for my little girl. The sooner the music can retrain her brain to compensate for the areas of damage, the better! So I refused to sit idly by and wait for her to turn 2. I got physicians to write letters and make calls, I helped Chloe get used to the headphones, I had special hearing tests done - to prove that she is able to do this program and begin reaping the benefits. My hard work paid off, and today she was officially accepted into the program!

If there's one thing I've learned since being a parent, it's that I have to be an advocate for my child because she isn't able to. I have been given the charge to care for her, protect her, and help her through this life. So I've had to say goodbye to the mild-mannered, timid gal I was before I had my daughter.

The staff at the audiology department were shocked to see not only how well Chloe tolerated the headphones and music, but truly seemed to enjoy it! I hope that because of Chloe's positive response to this therapy (and hopefully positive results!), they will change the 2-year-old rule and do what makes sense for other little youngsters!



This is just a cute pic of Chloe visiting with her cousin, Isabella, today.
They are very close in age and they love each other!

9 comments:

This Mom said...

Way to go mom. Glad she had sucha wonderful experience.

thanks for coming buy on the BATW layover.

Celine said...

That's a great idea!
Chloe is so adorable, she makes me smile everytime I see her! :)

Merinda Reeder said...

Girl you inspire. Chloe is one blessed and lucky little girl. If every child had such a mom, the world would certainly be a better place.

Ronnica said...

I love music, both good music (well-written) and fun stuff. I think it shocks my friends when they realize that I love pop and rap music as I'm pretty straight-laced. I don't claim to be cool (cuz I'm not), but I like what I like.

Anonymous said...

What a great mom you are! She's lucky she has you (as you are lucky to have her!) She seems like such a special girl!

jennifersusan said...

I found my way here through SITS, and I love what you have to say!
I've got a background in special education and it's definately true that the earlier you start a child in the program the better off they are. So, great job! You are an awesome mom and your little one is really going to flourish!

Natalia said...

Yay! Good for you! I'm glad she likes it and hope she does help open doors earlier for other children as well.

Cristy said...

Good for you! Chloe is so lucky to have you for her mom. You are such an amazing and dedicated person. Thank you for your example!

Ginger Kenney said...

I am absolutely thrilled for you and am wishing the very best for all of you. I recently began working for Advanced Brain Technologies. The Listening Program has helped so very many children over the years. I know we will all be rooting for you in the months and years to come, and look forward to reading about her progress.

All the best,
Ginger Kenney