Pages

11.01.2008

Bake Sale

I honestly can't think of a better way to kick off the Thanksgiving season than what we did tonight! There was a bake sale and silent auction for Chloe's horse therapy group. I was so humbled and grateful for all my friends and family and complete strangers who were able to take time out of their busy lives to come and show their support. I was in awe at the items that were donated and money that was raised. My heart is full of gratitude because of it all.

Chloe's a cowgirl at heart....

a rhinestone cowgirl, to be exact!


These were the items we got in the auction:
a cowgirl blanket, pumpkin pie,
and rice krispie treats (made by Oby's grandma)!






I count Chloe's horse therapy as one of our greatest blessings right now. That might sound a little dramatic, but I'm being very serious. Chloe is significantly behind in meeting her developmental milestones. It is a constant worry. After she goes to horse therapy on Thursday's, she is stronger and has more endurance for 3-4 days. Instead of exercising for 15-20 minutes, she exercises for 30-45 minutes. Instead of needing support to hold her head, she can hold her own head, she does better with her standing exercises, she has more trunk strength - after horse therapy. If it were up to me, we'd do horse therapy every day!


There's more than that, though. I love horse therapy for myself. I am honestly uplifted and strengthened just by being around the other parents. They tell me their stories, I tell them mine. They've been through what I've been through. It is so comforting to know that I'm not alone and someone else understands! It may seem like such a simple thing, but it is a great thing for me.


And yet there's still more to it. Just being around the special children who attend horse therapy is inspiring and uplifting. They come every week with a smile on their faces! They love being on the horses and being with the other children. They ride the horses with such confidence... this is something they are good at, and I don't think they feel that way often. There is a glow about them, and I am so grateful to be able to know each of them and see the benefit they get because of the service of others.


Service? Oh yes, this is a significant service from the physical and occupational therapists who work with our special kids! I can't believe how much time and effort the volunteer therapists put in to their positions in the horse therapy program. They use their own horses that they feed and keep.... a daily chore and a significant expense. They haul them from their homes to the ranch every week, regardless of sky-rocketing gas prices, and ask for nothing in return. They are happy to do it. They love the kids. They know the therapy is such a great help for these special kids. They are amazing. I'm grateful we were able to raise some money for their cause tonight.


"Help others.
There's no time like the present,
And no present like the time."
-James Durst

16 comments:

The Pachuilo Family said...

That is so amazing! I love the pic of Chloe eating the pizza and the ones with Oby. They are so cute.

Shanda said...

Oh, I'm so glad you came over and commented on my blog...now I have a great new blog to follow.

I have to agree that the horse therapy is so powerful. I work with special needs individuals as a part of the Americorps program. I love it!

Shanda said...

And I love that your blog is nonpartisan.

Queenie Jeannie said...

A lovely blog, of your lovely family! FABULOUS!!

Jeannie

Abounader Photography said...

As you already know, I love horses too. reading your post is making me a bit teary eyed! You are a wonderful and thoughtful mom to go the extra mile to help your daughter. I'm so glad that you both have found something to lift your spirits each week after fighting so hard for those milestones. :-) If you were closer I'd love to photo your daughter on her favorite lesson horse. :-)

Natalia said...

Hooray for those volunteers, hooray for you and Chloe and hooray for yummy pumpkin pie :)!

Emma said...

I just went to the kidz site and it is no longer what it was before. Did I miss something. I even went to it from Taylors to make sure I hadn't copied it wrong.

Tara Bennett said...

test to get rid of word verification

Ash said...

My MIL was blessed to be a horse therapy volunteer. She loved every single second of all the giggles and smiles.

Glad ALL of you guys can benefit from a fantastic activity.

Em

Sera said...

I started crying when I read this blog. Chloe is so blessed to have the chance to do this. Equine therapy is amazing and I have been fortunate to see it in action (some of our sexual abuse victims have the opportunity to participate) and it makes such a huge difference. I love all of you guys!!

Sandy said...

What a beautiful little girl you have!
Thanks for stopping by for a visit. Your blog is great and I will be back!

Casey's trio said...

Your daughter is an inspiration. And what a beautiful little cowgirl she is:)

Jeri Dawn said...

I was so sad that I couldn't attend the benefit! Keep me posted on future events. Curtis Fisher is in town. We need to do a get together.

Celine said...

YAY for Chloe! And YAY for all those amazing volunteers!

CC said...

Awesome onsie!!

I've had some clients who also really benefited from horse therapy. Great to hear it's doing well for her too!

Anonymous said...

Horse Therapy sounds amazing. It seems to me that you also have some amazing friends!