Pages

1.14.2009

Rockin' the 80's

Have you heard the good news???


80's fashion is making a serious comeback!

Not to be confused with 80's television stars making a comeback....


Ummm, no. I'm just not feelin' that, are you?


Well, I try to keep up with the latest trends for Chloe. She's gotta be hip! So when I heard the 80's were going to be hot in '09, I ran through the list of 80's fashion that I remembered: shoulder pads, neon, t-shirt clips, tight acid/stonewash jeans, big/teased hair, exercise gear/leg warmers, jellies sandals, slap bracelets, off-the-shoulder look....


We decided we didn't want to be over-the-top, just a few 80's fashion items to make a statment. A 'less is more' kind of a thing. So we picked....



half gloves and a head band!

(Doesn't she look soooo 80's!?!?)


Oh, and we also threw in a splash of....



80's fish net!

Okay, okay, I'm lying. We're not that fashion forward. Or would it be fashion backward in this case? Anywho, here's the truth....


Chloe's half-glove look is actually a benik splint that we picked up at today's Occupational Therapy appointment. It helps keep her thumb in proper position and get her to use her other fingers that she's usually squeezing down in a tight fist.



And the fish net was actually a net that held the chair she sat on, and we had a little swing thing going on.


Well, regardless of what fashion trends she did or did not meet,


she really pulled off the look.

Just sayin'.



Chloe always enjoys her Occupational Therapy visits. Her OT, Julia, is a lovely British woman who adores children. She gives off a....



Mary Poppins vibe.


Chloe did great at OT today. Julia taught me some tricks to change Chloe's shirts without her usual dreaded reaction. And she was bringing toys together in midline, using BOTH hands!




I was so excited about her accomplishments, I didn't know whether to give Julia a


high five or


raise the roof!




What? You think I'm a dork? Well, haven't you heard about the revolution.....?





And I've been bringing roof raisin' back for years now.




Join me in the revolution, would ya?
You know you want to!

Here's to the 80's!!!

26 comments:

Shelly said...

High five, girl! Both to you and your wicked post and Chloe and her tubular accomplishments! Love the music too. It's so rad!

Andrea said...

LOL She looks like a fashion icon!

I had to laugh when I saw your post title, because I have a teenage sister who is WAY into the '80s thing right now.

Mel said...

Wow, I am having some fabulous flashbacks, and your soundtrack reminds me of "The Wedding Singer" and falling out of our seats laughing! Those were the days!

A Friendly Reader Only said...

LOL - What a great job of tying it all together!!
I personally thought the 80's were great!! I am glad that you left out the huge Shoulder Pads though -What were we Thinking???

I have "tagged" you to pass on the Photo Tag - You are in no way obligated to play - but come by and check it out anyway. Thanks

Kimberly @ Seriously Daisies said...

OMG, Chloe looks just fabulous in those pics!!! :o)

And the progress she's making is great! High Five!!!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Are you telling me that roof raisin' went out of vogue? That could be the reason for the weird looks I get whenever I am in the check-out line in the grocery store and the checker tells me how much money I've saved. Thank goodness for the internet. I swear I learn everything I need to here.

Case in point: The 80's are coming back? Hooray! Does this mean that it is OK to start wearing two pairs of different colored socks underneath my pegged jeans again?

Please advise. I do not want to unknowingly commit another social phopa! :)

-Francesca

Jodi said...

HIGH FIVE to you and Chloe! Good for her for being in fashion and making strides in therapy!

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

She is totally rockin' that look!! Chloe is so adorable!! So glad the therapy appointment went well. :)

Celine said...

High Five Tara!
That post brought a huge smile on my face!
I was born in the 80s so of course that decade rocks! tee-hee!
Give a huge to Chloe for me! :)

vsm/whirling dirvish photography said...

Love it! When I think of the 80's I think of Weird Science and 16 candles...! Talk about big hair! And leg warmers, oh the leg warmers!

Nana said...

Chloe is so fashionable. A heads up Mary Poppins was made in the
60's. Where were we when that picture was taken? I can't remember.

Angela said...

High fashion in your neck of the woods! I am up for either fivin' or raising the roof as long as the Arsenio Hall barking w/arm swinging doesn't come back!!

Kim said...

You are so funny. I'm raisin' the roof to you right now...woot!woot! Chloe rocks the 80's look. In the 80's, I looked just like the lead singer for "Heart".

Heatherlyn said...

You are so clever. The tie in to 80's fashion was great. Loved it. I'm glad Chloe is doing so well. I bet she makes a lot of progress this year. I'm also impressed that even the small stuff, such as the technique for changing a shirt, makes a difference.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Yeah for Chloe and her mom's fashion sense! I am so glad she is doing so well, working hard is paying off, High Five and a Fist Bump! She looks beyond adorable, girls are so much fun to dress.

Anonymous said...

I think a high five and a roof raise is in order.

I love 80's clothes. I will totally help you bring back the side pony tail when my hair gets long enough.

JessicaMarie said...

Haha I'm totally okay with some 80s fashion! I actually love the idea of half gloves, since now I have an iPhone and the touchscreen just doesn't work with covered fingertips!

Great about Chloe's progress! It's amazing how OT draws attention to little motor/coordination skills that so many people take for granted!

Amanda said...

You totally crack me up, Tara! I've heard that the 80's are back and I broke out in a cold sweat and got the shivers! I actually saw an 11/12 year old girl walking out the grocery store with crimped hair and about died. The 80's were such a terrible decade for fashion...and yes, I myself and guilty of making those same fashion mistakes that make me shiver now. Neon colors, slap bracelets, pegged pants and the dreaded acid washed jeans. Ugh...

Grand Pooba said...

Tara! That post was so funny! Raise the roof! Can I get a wha wha?!

I totally thought you bought Chloe some half gloves! lol! Check out that G-Q picture, I've never seen anything more precious! And congrats to all Chloe's progress! YAY!

Hccm said...

She is a fashion icon. Madonna watch you back.

Lacey said...

Its so nice to meet you. I live in West Jordan. My baby has infantile spasms and also went through ACTH. He is also currently on topamax. He still has many kinds of siezures, but the spasms are a lot better. Hugs from Lacey and Jax

Anonymous said...

Oh no, let's leave the 80's in the 80's....please....

haggardmom said...

LONG LIVE THE 80'S!! LOL

Keri said...

I'm so glad I stumbled on your blog. Miss Chloe is absolutely adorable! She's totally rockin' the look in her cool headband and Beniks! My son wears black Beniks too.

Suzi said...

She looks adorable! It sounds like her OT sessions are coming along. I know this is still around, but what about "The Wave" that would be a fun addition.

BPOTW said...

80s fashions on me? No thanks. But on Chloe? Totally adorable. Like totally man. Congrats on her accomplishments in OT!!!