Pages

2.02.2009

Mommy Makeover

While shopping the other day, I ran into a friend from my single days. She was the one who came up to me, so she did recognize me, but she said, "I almost didn't recognize you. You look so.... different!"




I couldn't help but think, 'And by different, of course you mean fat, dissheveled, and ugly.'




Single Tara out to dinner on a vay-cay




Mommy Tara out to dinner on a vay-cay (thankfully Chloe's hiding my tummy, my arms are cut out, and my hair's dangling over my double chin


Single Tara on Christmas Day

(Oh, my perfect eyebrows.... I used to prioritize making time for my perfect eyebrows!)



Mommy Tara at Christmastime

(hello, eyebrows, are you there??? Yes, double chin, we see you... you're not hard to find. Black eyes from not getting a good night's sleep in who knows how long - don't worry, we couldn't miss you if we tried. And thank goodness for my lap buddy covering up other unwanted sites!)



And my looks aren't the only one way I have changed! Back in the day, I was the queen of organization. My roommates always teased me about my OCD ways. All cd's and videos were alphabetized and categorized, and if anyone messed with it, I would catch on in a matter of hours. Everything had to be 'just so.'



I assumed this had become a habit and something I would carry with me as a mother.



Wrong.



The other day my SIL was over and I told her we had a movie for my nephew to watch. I had to come find it (because truthfully I knew it was a crap-shoot as to where it would be). I sorted through a few piles of unorganized, un-cased, and un-cared-for dvd's. I couldn't help but giggle and sigh when I remembered how I had let my organized ways go!

And the paychecks? Oye. I quit my job to care for Chloe and all of her medical needs. Sometimes, I have to admit, I miss my paycheck and the things I could buy.

As I mentioned, we're all signed up to run a 5k in May, so I am trying to get my bod in shape before that day comes. I've been going to water aerobics and, of all things, using the food pyramid as my diet guide. I'm working into jogging (because to be honest I hate jogging). Anyway, at water aerobics last week, I ran into a different friend from my single days. My worst nightmare, I was in my swimming suit with mascara running on all the wrong spots on my face, my hair wet and matted to my head... not pretty.

This friend mentioned that she had talked to our other friend who saw me at the store. She said, "Helen said you look so good, and she was right! You look so happy! You look so good!"



'Good? Could it be that even though I look like the 'before' picture on a Jenny Craig commercial, what other people see is that I look good? Yes, I've gained some undeniable pounds, but maybe there's something more than just how much I weigh.



Remember my word for 2009? It was joy. And I love this saying about joy....
I truly believe that happiness changes the way we appear to others. I am happy. Trust me when I say that I was happy as a single person, but there was an uncertainty and longing for more that was always in the forefront.

Although marriage and motherhood (and the stresses and joys that have come with it) have changed my lifestyle so completely, and it's hard to find time to perfect my eyebrows and hit the gym as much as I once did, it has brought so much joy and happiness to my life. It has refined my soul, and strengthened my faith. It has taken me to the depths of humility and the highest heights of joy and triumph. Is it possible that this refinement has taught me that organized dvd's aren't nearly as important as playing with my baby girl, doing exercises with her, and making sure all her needs are met? And there's no doubt - I get paychecks. But Chloe gives a different type of paycheck. The best part: she doesn't wait to give it to me every two weeks. She gives me hope, purpose, faith, smiles, giggles, accomplishments every second of every day..... My wallet might be thinner, but my heart has more than doubled in size!

Yes, motherhood is messing with my hair....

(and my eyebrows, and my pant-size, and the color of my under-eye, and my wallet size, and my fashion sense, and my organization/cleaning skills)

But, let me rally the rest of you in my attempt to 'get over it.' Let's accept our changes and allow the make-up of joy to truly makeover our look and our perspective.

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to get healthy so I can run the 5k. And in that attempt, I'll likely shed some pounds. But I'm not doing it so I can fit into my size 4's. I'm doing it so I can be healthy and be the best mom I can be for Chloe (and someday, more little rugrats).

Here's to joy in motherhood and truly looking (and feeling) good!


35 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful post.

We are all changed when we become moms it's easy to focus on what we've lost and not what we've gained (and I don't mean the pounds).

Amanda said...

You are so right on this one. I find myself so often looking at my "skinny" pictures and wishing that I could be that person again. Or at least 50 lbs lighter. But like you said as much fun as the single days were, I'm so much happier now, so much more secure in who I am.

True motherhood takes it's toll on our outsides, with our messy hair and unplucked eyebrows and double chins (I'm right there with you on that one) and tummy bulge...we're much better people for the little ones that we've given all that up for.

Reeni said...

Your beautiful inside and out, single and married!! Your glowing! I know you light up any room your in the same way Chloe lights up your life.

Anonymous said...

I think you are beautiful. Chloe and you are always glowing in every picture. I think you look the same except happier.

Stephanie said...

Tara, this is the reason I love to read your blog. You always look for the positives in everything! You are so beautiful! And you may see a difference in the "before" but you just look HAPPY to me! I have been working on being a happier person and you are my inspiration to do so!! Thank you for this post!!

And I love your background!!

Nathan and Dianna Wiley said...

Oh Tara, you are so right. Thanks for posting this because today I had to decide which pajama pants to wear today..cause my jeans are just not fitting latley. =) Joy is a wonderful make-up, it makes you realize the truly important things in life, and forget about the outside world!! Love ya

Heatherlyn said...

My friend's Dad says "beauty is skin deep but ugly goes all the way to the bone". I think that happiness makes us beautiful. And that motherhood does kind of mess with our hair, and perfect skin, and perfect tummy. But you know what? You are right that there are so many other things that make us beautiful. And you are beautiful. I think you look the same in pictures from before and after. :)

Shelly said...

I loved this one. And I don't think it's possible for you to look anything other than stellar. Motherhood certainly changes a lot about who we thought we were, doesn't it? I'm glad you're holding hard to yur JOY!

AndreaLeigh said...

i've changed as I get older as well... some in good ways, some in not so good. character changes, good. body changes... ugh. not so good.

i, too, was once an organized person. emphasis on the once.

i think you look fabulous, by the way.

jennifersusan said...

I love this post! You are so right, and it's really nice to know that there are other women out there who think this way. :)
You look absolutely gorgeous!!

Cristin said...

Great post! I know I look different, feel different, see the world different... I may have been a little hottie 15 years ago, but I'll keep my stretch marks and gray hairs thankyouverymuch.

Cristin said...

Great post! I know I look different, feel different, see the world different... I may have been a little hottie 15 years ago, but I'll keep my stretch marks and gray hairs thankyouverymuch.

Mel said...

I love this post, and it's good for me to have a reminder some times!! Of course it doesn't matter that I do have days that I actually look put together, I only ever see people I know from way back when when I'm not put together, usually in my pj's or some dumb thing. I guess I shouldn't worry about that as much as long as I'm happy... and I am.. most days! Thanks for the reminder! And I think you look fabulous BTW!!!

michelle hays said...

aw. you got me all teary eyed and all. I can so relate. I love the bit about Chloe's paycheck.

haggardmom said...

LOL, I hate jogging too. Even if you lose weight, your body is never the same after having kids, in so many ways not entirely pleasant (if you've had more than one, there's 'the flap' LOL no amount of crunches is getting rid of that) But it's all worth it!
Speaking of un-cased DVD's... we pulled up the corner of the rug in our family room looking for one in particular, and found about ten of them under the rug! Some were stuck to the floor... gross :-) That's what you have to look forward to ;-)

Anonymous said...

I was just gonna tell you the same thing. You may feel as if you were more put together in the old pictures but you are absolutely glowing in the current ones. You can see the happiness. And I think you're beautiful.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Devon said...

Thank you so much for posting this...I had been despairing over this very topic earlier. You are absolutely right. I guess I just need to see it in myself. Easier said than done.

www.AForestFrolic.typepad.com said...

I couldn't have said it better Tara...what a wonderful post! Now if those mothers who feel like they need to be in competition with other mothers instead of supporting each other would just disappear, the world would be a better place, hehe :-)

Celine said...

Aaaah Tara, you just blow my mind!
First off, let me tell you, you look great now, then, whenever!
You have such a positive attitude, it simply amazes me!
I'm so glad to be following your blog because you inspire me everyday a little bit more!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Thank you for this, I feel that I look better now with my gray hair and wrinkles because I have love in my life.
I think you are an absolutely stunning woman, beautiful in all the pictures, with and without perfect eyebrows. Chloe and Oby are so lucky to have you as the Mom and Wife.

Merinda Reeder said...

I have a friend who reminds me to wear my extra pounds and my stretch marks with honor, not shame. I earned all that by sacrificing me for something a little more important: my family. And your before and after pictures only show me that they were taken on different days...
Wear your invisible dark shadows with pride; they say that you are a good mother and a good wife.

BloggessJ said...

Great post! You look great by the way! Have a great day!

Nana said...

To Joy!!! And eyebrows.

Mindy said...

What a wonderful post! It's sooo true, every single word of it =)

I am no where near the size I was when I met my Hubby. I have been trying and trying to loose weight, but my body just WON'T let it go! So I have decided that I want to be healthy, active and losing inches is more important than being 113 pounds again.

Besides I wouldn't trade my two boys for that beautiful, before baby body! My boys are so much better!!!

vsm/whirling dirvish photography said...

You spoke for all of us moms so eloquently...
I laughed and sighed at all the right times during your post!
It's sad to say that I haven't even put on a swimsuit in at least 4 years... oh wait that's how old my eldest dirvish is....sad...sad..

The Atkinsons said...

Thanks Tara! Your post made me cry because lately I've been mourning the old me, the pre-twin pregnancy me. I look in the mirror and I don't recognize myself. Even my hair doesn't look the same. Your post was exactly what I needed. Thank you, thank you.

Angela said...

Personally I think you look great but I know your mirror probably says many of the things that mine do!! My friend and I were talking the other day about how we missed hanging out with all of our friends and how it was fun. It WAS fun...now our definition of fun has changed but we are so much happier with our lives now that we wouldn't have it any other way!!

Mrs. Bennett said...

I feel the same. It is crazy how much life changes after marriage and motherhood. I loved my single carefree days too, but I wouldn't go back for anything, I'm too happy now. I'm also going to try to run a 5k in may, the susan g komen. It is a tradition. But since I can barely walk after giving birth to this big baby, i'll be happy to walk the 5k. :)

Dawna said...

What a great post! I think you look great and have a beautiful personality to boot! But, I understand where you are coming from. I like to think that I was a lone rose, in my single years. Now, along with my husband and children, we make a beautiful bouquet!

Kim said...

I absolutely agree with you. I had three children and wish I would have had more. You are gorgeous as a single girl, but you are gorgeous and glowing in the pictures of you with Chloe.

Crisanne said...

I think all mom's feel the same way. I wouldn't trade my boys for all the skinny jeans in the world!

Jennifer said...

yay!! so true! You go girl!

Ryan.Kendra.Makenzie.Tracker said...

oh Ms Tara. The same girl that when the first time I saw you I kept telling Ryan- HOLY COW... She is so beautiful... The same girl that after dinner the other night told Ryan HOLY COW... Can she keep getting more beautiful! Its funny how you see yourself and how other see you. I just hope you know how truly beautiful you are inside and out. Pretty much the MOST FAB Mom, wife, friend ever!!!

Keri said...

I'm loving every word you said! Just to throw out my two cents, not only are you gorgeous on the outside, but everything within you makes you that much more beautiful! I adore you! Fabulous post!