Pages

7.13.2009

Above Average!

Today Chloe had a speech therapy evaluation. The therapist just watched Chloe interact and asked me a bunch of questions about how Chloe responds to communication and what she does to communicate. Then she took a few minutes to add up the scores and tell me where Chloe landed. I fully expected the usual 'she's really far behind' answer because that's what we usually get on all of Chloe's tests. But today Chloe can proudly say.......

Chloe is 26-months-old, but the test indicated that she is able to understand at a 29-month-old level! Of course because of her apraxia and poor fine motor skills, here ability to communicate to others is far below her age level. But the therapist said she often sees when children struggle in one area, they excel in others because they spend more time doing what they are able to do. That is the case with Chloe. She doesn't run around exploring and playing with toys. She just sits and listens to me and other adults communicate. She just soaks it all up! She really is smart as a whip, but just in a body that doesn't work like we'd like it to. I'm so proud of her!

16 comments:

Grand Pooba said...

That's great news! Quite an accomplishment!

Ash said...

Wonderful!!!! Way to go Chloe (and mama).

Mel said...

WOOHOO!!! Way to go Chloe!!:)

The Pachuilo Family said...

Yeah, Now you just have to watch what you say! Way to go Chloe, you are moving right along and becoming a big girl. I really wished we would have seen you all.
We miss you!

Kristi Veale said...

Not to mention that girls are so much better at communciation by nature. We just like to talk a lot. Way to go Chloe! It's great when someone tells you that you're ABOVE AVERAGE!

Sherry C said...

That is so fantastic! Way to go Chloe!

Sherry C said...

That is so fantastic! Way to go Chloe!

Devon said...

Great job Chloe! I bet that was wonderful to hear!!

Shelly said...

So happy for Chloe!! What a big girl! :)

The High Family said...

Awwwwwwwwwww! That is awesome news! Congrats Chloe and way to go Mommy for being such a great teacher! :)

Emma said...

Yeah Chloe!!!!!!!! Everytime I talk to my mom she tells me how smart she is now you have proof from a Doctor!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!

Cynthia said...

I'm so glad! Way to go Miss Chlo!

Colleen said...

that is great! I wish our girls were able to express just how smart they are!

Tinabean said...

Yeah Chloe!!!
She is such a smart little thing & so very cute.
I'm so glad that she is growing & developing at above average. They are usually a lot smarter than we give them credit for.
I hope everything is coming along nicely with your house I can't wait to see the finished project I just know it will be amazingly cute!
Good luck on your presentation on the park I am so proud of you & your making a difference not just for your little Chloe but so many more.
I wish I had a tenth of your talent & motivation.

Heatherlyn said...

Hooray! You always knew she was smart! I bet Chloe will do some amazing things with her life. She already has!

LisaL said...

Woooo Hoooo! You go Chloe!! How exciting!! Have any of Chloe's therapists talked about some type of augmentative communication device for her? There are some really cool ones out there that would allow her access to phrases (really whatever you program in there) so that she could express more.