Pages

8.28.2009

Our House! {before & after pix}

Disclaimer: most of these pictures were taken with a cell phone camera, so please excuse the poor quality!

***

It all started when I was watching one of my favorite shows on HGTV....


They took a little cottage house that was run-down, spent $2000 and gave it a 'lipstick makeover,' and it looked adorable! The little house on this particular episode reminded me a lot of the house that was next door to my mom's. I stayed up all night thinking of everything I could do. The initial budget was $2000. LOL yeah right!

Then the idea really got going in my head when I saw this picture in a magazine....

I could NOT stop thinking about the house and how I could transform it and make it my own! So I went and asked my parents if they would give me the house. Have you ever asked someone to give you a house? It is not an easy thing to do! Keep in mind, they had offered it to me before, so it wasn't as terrible as it sounds! lol....

So we got to work. Here it was on the morning we got started.....


Then the asbestos siding was removed....



It got worse (A LOT WORSE) before it got better....


And now - it's HOME!....


We still have the yard to do and I want to paint the door red (Red, Red Wine to be exact), but I still think it looks absolutely ADORABLE!....



The inside is lookin' pretty cute too!

The front room before:

The front room after:


The kitchen before:




Ninety years of wallpaper:



The kitchen after:


The bathroom before:


Unfortunately, the bathroom actually looks worse now. We thought we were going to do the bathroom right away, and started tearing it down. Then we lost energy and decided to finish it next spring. LOL. So here's the only picture you get to see of the bathroom as it is now, the shower curtain:



The master bedroom before:


The master bedroom after:

The family room before:


The laundry room before:



You don't get to see pictures of the family room or laundry room as they are right now either. We have the floors done, but you can't see them because that is where I have put all the boxes and miscellaneous things while I still try to get organized. Also, we still have to sheetrock (and therefore paint) the family room. I wish I could show you the floors, though, because they are STUNNING! We did stained concrete. This was something Oby had to talk me into. I was really unsure about the idea at first, but after seeing a few examples, and considering the cost benefits, I was SOLD and I truly think it was one of my favorite parts about our house!

Hmmm.... actually, I think my favorite part of our renovation is the central air:


Here's an example of how fantastic stained concrete can look....


*sigh* I LOVE IT!

Oh, I'll show you our pantry in the laundry room. I also love that!....


I hope you're not too bored yet because I saved the best for last!!!

Chloe's room before:




Chloe's room after:



Chloe LOVES her room!....


I still want to make the pom-pom bedspread for her bed, but I'll get to that later....


Oh, and we have the swing, but still need to hang it....



Well, that's it for now! I need to go baby the carpel tunnel I got from this long post!

21 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

WOW. I LOVE IT. Good job Tara! I have to admit, I am a little jealous, our basement is taking so long, but its coming along. I love your new home,congrats!

Laura Marchant said...

Wow, it looks great! Honestly you guys did an awesome job!!!

Sandy said...

Oh Tara, it looks adorable! You guys did such a fabulous job! Can I hire you? ;0)

Ash said...

Holy cow, Tara!!! I'm blown away - honest.

And I'm totally want your kitchen sink faucet.

Can't wait to see even more shots.

Mel said...

So cool!! I am so excited for you guys!!

Heatherlyn said...

Wow. You made your house look just like the front of that house in the magazine! If you had that little gazibo thing on the side it would look just like the entire house!

I do like the stained concrete. I think it's pretty cool. I don't know what the maintenance on it is but it can look realy classy.

You guys have done a lot of work!

Crisanne said...

Tara, this looks amazing! Chloe looks so happy, and her room is so cute! I absolutely love the open little wall between the front room and ... kitchen?

The Pachuilo Family said...

I love it! I can't wait to actually make it there one day and see it for myself.
Also Tara when I get a big house I am going to have you come and help me decorate, you have great taste. It makes me want to redo my who house.

CreativeMish said...

Everything looks fabulous! I love the porch on the front of your house! I've always wanted a big porch!~

LisaL said...

Absolutely beautiful!! I can't believe what a difference you made! I love the picture of the front of the house... it just screams "HOME"!!

Shelly said...

Wow!! You guys did a LOT of work in such a short period of time! Congratulations on doing so well!! Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all do everything we want to for our house with $2000 or less???

I love Chloe's room. She's going to make some wonderful memories in there!

Jen & Johnny said...

I am amazed!!! It looks so fantastic!!!! You guys are so great!!!!! I can't wait to see more!!!

Amanda said...

Tara, you guys have done SUCH an amazing job! It must be wonderful and feel like such an acomplishment for you guys. I'm so happy for you.

It's been forever since I've talked to you. I hope everything is going well in your world :)

Michelle said...

WOW! What an amazing transformation! I love it. Congrats and enjoy your hard work!

Jen said...

How wonderful! It looks like your hard work has paid off! I'm trying so hard to de-clutter my house before our new baby comes. I'm having a little boy in December. So much to do, so little time. Need to remember that I can do all things with him above!

Jen
Creative and Curious Kids!

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

Oh my! The house looks AMAZING! You should be really proud!

Hi, I'm stopping by from SITS! I just wanted to share some comment love. I hope the rest of your week is absolutely amazing!

Many Blessings,

Teresa <><

http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com

Mandy said...

WOW Tara it looks amazing!! You have done an incredible job!! What fun to make it yours!! It is beautiful!! You definitely have a talent for taste! Can't wait to see it!!

Colleen said...

love it!!!! You guys are doing a wonderful job!

btw...We have the same swing(but blue) for Kennedy...it works great!

Anonymous said...

i've been to your Kidz blog a number of times, but this is the first time i've been to your personal blog... i'm glad i did! you've got some really neat things going on here!!!
thanks for sharing!
:)

AshleyS said...

looks absolutely wonderful!!

April said...

WOW!! Your home looks amazking! I'm so tickled for you! I love your swing! Where did you find that? Do you think it would work for Caleb?