Pages

9.17.2009

Perspective is a Funny Thing

This was my perspective from today's ABM therapy session:



Chloe started off in a bit of a fussy mood, so handing her off to the practitioner was a no-go. We opted, instead, for therapy to be performed on my lap. Hey, it worked. And it wasn't too long before she remembered how much fun ABM therapy can be, and graduated to the regular therapy table!

When I was looking at these pictures tonight, I was trying to figure out how I should flip them so they would make sense to someone who wasn't in my seat when they were taken. Should I flip them so Chloe is right-side up? But then, that wouldn't be an accurate portrayal of what the picture is actually of.

And it made me realize something. Perspective really does change our reality. I'm sure to some, they would question lots of choices I've made in my life. Times I've really felt as though people disputed our decisions were when I quit my job to be with Chloe, and recently when we decided to jump in with both feet, putting full faith in ABM.

I "broke up" with Chloe's physical therapist yesterday. The fundamental aspects of physical therapy go directly against what ABM is trying to accomplsih, so a hiatus was in order. I tried the 'it's not you, it's me' line, but she wasn't falling for it. She wanted a full description, explanation, reasoning as to why I was choosing to walk away from her services. From her perspective, she has studied and learned that physical therapy works. From my perspective, I have tried a jabillion physical therapy modalities many times every day, and have seen little - if any - progression. I truly think she is a lovely person and good at what she does, but it isn't working for Chloe. In the end, she was very gracious and supportive. We'll keep in touch and I hope to have good news for her shortly!

Perspective is also a funny thing when it comes to time. Last Thursday, I hadn't been to the ABM appointment yet. I didn't know how much it was going to change my hope for Chloe's future. If last week you had told me I would be jumping for joy that we are selling our travel trailer, I would have swatted your face and told you to take it back! There was no way I was selling my trailer. It symbolized our freedom to getaway and have adventures. I was holding on to that thing for dear life. But now, all I care about is getting my Chloe the best treatment possible. All that trailer symbolizes to me now is cash value to pay for Chloe's therapy - and that symbolizes a bright future for Chloe - and I am gladly willing to sell it for that. Last week I made an appointment to get my lashes filled (yes, this summer I have had lash extensions and loved every second of it). Last week I was looking forward to the appointment and wouldn't have missed it for the world. Today, I gladly canceled that appointment, because not going meant extra money to pay for therapy.

It's just got me thinking we need to avoid judgment on others. Sometimes when we look at their situations (and the way they may handle them) from the sidelines, their actions/behavior/choices might seem laughable or downright wrong. But maybe if you were able to get to their vantage point, you would see they're doing just fine.

Apparently I'm in a very 'analyze-y' mood tonight, because I was also thinking about my initial response to flip the picture of Chloe so it looked 'normal' to others. I think I have that tendency in life.... I want it to seem like I've got it all together to everyone else, and so I try to skew the reality so it looks "normal." That way people don't have to cock their head to the side to understand my life and choices and I don't have to explain myself so much.... Well, as you can see, I posted the pictures from my unique perspective. I didn't flip them. I think that choice is symbolic of what I hope to do from here on out..... Keepin' it real.

Does this even make sense? Well, it does from my perspective!

11 comments:

Diane said...

it all makes perfect sense, Tara. :)

Colleen said...

You have a great perspective on things!

Tyler & Shannon Higgins said...

Tara you are a great mom. You know what is best for your child. I think what you are doing is great!!!

Nana said...

Makes tons of sense to me. We do what we have to do.

23 weekers said...

Makes sense to me, too.

PS... I also once googled for the Jigglers and got the same results. I was just glad I didn't do it at work!

Chloe is a doll. I wish we could get ABM here. I would do it in a heart beat. I think the closest is about 6 hours away.

Shanon

Amanda said...

It makes perfect sense. I think you're doing an amazing job with what you've been given!

Ryan.Kendra.Makenzie.Tracker said...

I think you should go on Oprah. I dont know how you do it. Everytime I come to your blog I learn something and change MY perspective. You are an amazing Mom and Chloe is lucky to have you. If we can help with anything please let us know. If I had the $$ I would buy your trailer from you :) Hope it gets sold soon.

Kristina said...

I agree- perspective changes all the time and we owe it to ourselves to adjust our course as necessary. I mean, nothing says it's bad to go off course, right???? Perhaps the detour will take us to where we wanted to go but didn't know how to get there.

Love that you like ABM and kudos to you for the PT break-up ----it's so hard to say good bye to those there supporting our journey when we are ready to move on.

Loriann said...

Hey Tara,
I think your post is good, don't worry about the rest, it is your opinion that matters. Thanks for the info for Hannah, we will definately
looking into it. Have a blessed week. Love and Prayers, Lori and girls

Heatherlyn said...

It makes sense! It's a beautiful post. And you are right about how perspective changes everything, even the value of things. And also, why that is a good reason not to judge. This really was a great post. And I hope that the new treatment really realy helps!!

Kari said...

I love this post! (well, a lot of your posts- I just found your blog from Mormon Mom Blogs) You seem wise beyond your years and I admire your acceptance and being so proactive so early in this journey. Good job Mommy!!!

Kari