Pages

11.16.2009

Sleeping is Good!

I've had several requests from family, friends and followers wanting to know how our "cry it out" method of sleeping has been working.

I've been waiting to post about it until I could find the words to properly express my feelings, but I can't find a way to fully get my emotions into words, so I'm just gonna go for it and hope you get my point.

"Ferberizing" Chloe, or making her "cry it out" at night has changed my life. In a good way.

Don't get me wrong, it was hard. Very hard. The first night she cried pretty much the entire time. I was physically ill, it just felt so unnatural as a mother not to see to my crying child.

But surprisingly I did sleep better than I had in a long time. I think it was because so many doctors had to explained to me all the things that were NOT wrong with Chloe. The only logical explanation left (aside from reflux, which she is being treated for) is that she has behavioral issues associated with sleep. So because I want Chloe to have confidence and an ability to know that she is capable of taking care of some things on her own, I was somehow able to block out the cries and get some zzzz's.

The morning after the first night, Chloe was MAD at me. I think it was the first time she had ever been so completely angry at anyone. She wouldn't even look at me. But we went to visit my mom, and she was able to vent. It really was so funny. She just went on and on in her own little Chloe language, telling my mom all about how she cried and cried and I didn't come to her rescue. But my mom explained to her that she was okay and she needs to sleep alone in her own bed at night, and everyone needs to get sleep so we can take care of each other and have fun during the day. After her little heart-to-heart with my mom, she seemed to quickly forgive (isn't that so Chloe *sigh*), and we all moved on.

Almost every night since then, she has awoken only once or twice, cried for anywhere from 5-30 minutes, with infrequent check-ins from me, then soothed herself back to sleep.

We have been getting 6-8 hours of good sleep every night.




Just typing that brings a lump to my throat because I am so grateful. Thankful beyond words. Until these past couple of years without sleep, I never appreciated it enough. It is crucial to a healthy life that you get good nights of sleep.

Every once in awhile, if she cries, it gets to me. It just tugs at my heart and I want to run and rescue her. I have had a few moments when I have to just curl up in the fetal position and will myself to keep away from her, my logical self assuring my emotional self that this is for the best. Those moments of heartache usually pass quickly because I'm able to remember how much this has changed my life.

"Changed my life." Seems a bit dramatic, but let me tell you what. I mean it 100%.

We have a better routine. I feel like the sky is the limit with every single day. I still don't get everything done that I usually want to get done, but I am much more productive than I have been in over two years.

Do you know what that feels like?

AMAZING!

It has been a bit of an awakening for me. Funny that getting sleep would cause an awakening? But seriously, I just feel like all limits and restrictions that I put on Chloe and I before have been removed. It has been very good for my physical and emotional health.

This has been so good for Chloe, as well. I do feel that she is maturing because of this. She is less likely to cry if I'm not holding her every second. I think her ability to self-soothe has translated into a greater ability to also self-entertain. She is much more apt to watch television. Hey, three minutes of attention on the TV is a lot more than zero seconds.

I am so grateful that we decided to implement the Ferber/cry-it-out method. For anyone considering it, go for it. My only regret is that we didn't do it sooner.

9 comments:

Shelly said...

SO glad you're sleeping better! I'm glad it's worked and you're making it. Sleep is good. Very good! :)

Diane said...

getting sleep really CAN change your life!! i know!!!

i'm SOOOO happy everyone is sleeping! good job mamma!

i love how she fussed you out to your mom! lol

Kristina said...

So great that she is sleeping, and that YOU are sleeping, too. What a relief! And she is self-soothing and watching a bit of the telly - wow! Chloe is growing up :-)

Just wondering - does Chloe talk? Emma doesn't, and I find it very hard since her main mode of communication is eye gaze, smiles, and cries. She's starting to make some sounds - like one for pay more attention to me and such - that are so great! Just wondering about Chloe.

Maybe this post should have had a pic with you and a HUGE smile on your face?

Grand Pooba said...

That's GREAT news! I'm so happy for you guys. Funny how such a small change can make a huge difference in everyone's lives! You are such a strong person and a great mamma for being able to do that.

Mel said...

Yay for sleep! I'm so glad that things are getting better and that you are both able to get some Zzzzz's!

Messy Jess said...

We went through that with my son. It was such a long period of our life but one we learned so much from! I love Chloe! She is so precious. I am always uplifted when I come visit you.

Mrs. Bennett said...

I'd been meaning to ask you how the cry it out method went. I'm so glad it worked for you! Sleep is so wonderful, yeah! And by the way, it has been way too long since I looked at your actual blog since I read evertying on google reader - but way to go, your blog looks awesome!

Colleen said...

So glad it is working out for you! We had to do that with Kennedy when she was little too, although I was fortunate back then that my hubby is a night owl, so he would tend to her...but for her own sake I told him to just let her cry.

about 3 years ago we went through some time where sleep was difficult...we did tube feeding at night with kennedy and she moved a lot during the night...so the alarm on the pump would go off several times a night waking all of us. It really sucked...so I can totally feel your gratefullness on the ability to finally sleep. You never really realize how much you need until you go a long run with out it!

Heatherlyn said...

I think you've discovered a key principle in raising children and that is allowing them to be frustrated and work it out and solve their issue on their own is very healthy for everyone, although incredibly counter intuitive and difficult emotionally! Who doesn't have the instinct to swoop in and save a child from their misery? Yet, confidence comes from the child learning how to do a few things for themself! I'm glad you are getting sleep, too! I really does make the world a better place!