Pages

11.17.2009

A Special Christmas List

Dear Santa,

Mom says I have been a good girl and I'm hoping you agree with her! I've come up with a list of things that you and the elves might consider....

Normal shoes just do not stay on my feet. My feet are special like me and fall forward. So even though Mom & Dad buy shoes and boots for me, Mom always ends up carrying them because they fall off my feet so easily. I'm thinking these posh slipper socks from Nordstrom will help keep my feet warm this winter....


Santa, would you talk to the elves and see if they could whip up some of these teachable touchable texture squares? Just because I don't walk and play and hold toys doesn't mean I don't need sensory input. In fact, it means I need it even more. Mom and I think these textured square 'bean bag' things would be fab!....


Santa, I want and need these P's & Q's chewy tubes. All my other special friends have them and rave about them. Mom tells me they will help me with oral motor skills and sensory integration. I don't even know what that means, Santa, but please bring me some P's and Q's. Pretty please!...


Santa, I really could care less about plain white onesies underneath all my posh outfits, but Mom really likes them. She tells me they help me keep warm, and since I'm always lying down or in a chair, my shirts frequently ride up, and I guess Mom likes to keep me looking modest, so some new onesies are in order. I'm not a little baby like I used to be, and the stores don't carry my size, so you'll have to either have the elves sew some, or you could order them from essentialwhites.com. It's up to you, S-Man!....



And since reading books is my favorite thing in the world, it only makes sense that I'd like a book or two. Here are a few Mom thinks I might like.

Some classics:




Fancy Nancy's new holiday book. I just love Fancy Nancy!....



And some special books that seem to have been written JUST for ME!....



Five little girls with cerebral palsy and other physical disabilities share the dream of becoming ballerinas. With their powerful determination and the help of several committed teachers, these little girls get the chance to realize their dreams. A true story illustrated with beautiful photographs taken by James Estrin, the book follows five real little girls named Abbey, Monica, Nicole, Shekinah, and Veronica from ballet class to recital, where they show that working hard has helped them to become ballerinas in spite of their physical disabilities. The technical ballet terms and detailed descriptions of what the girls do in practice and performance are sure to please any child who loves ballet, while remaining appropriate for young readers. The plentiful photographs capture the personalities of the girls, making it possible for even a very young child to follow. This touching story would be a useful resource in an early childhood educational setting as an example of individuals with different abilities or disabilities, and its message of determination in the face of adversity is one that parents and educators of children of all ages would find useful.



Told in rhyme, this story follows Susan through a series of familiar activities. She swims with her father, works hard in school, plays with her friends -- and even rides a horse. Lively, thoughtfully drawn illustrations reveal a portrait of a busy, happy little girl with whom younger readers will identify. Not until the end of the story is it revealed that Susan uses a wheelchair. Told with insight, and without sentimentality, here is an inspiring look at one spunky little girl whose physical disability is never seen as a handicap.


Well I think that should give plenty for you and the elves to think about. I hope you have plenty of hot chocolate in the North Pole to keep you warm! We'll be seeing you on Christmas Eve, and there will be cookies -- of course!

Lots o' loves & kisses,

Chlo-Chlo :)

p.s. Santa, this is now Chloe's mom. I just wanted to let you know that we already got all these items for Chloe, er uh if you'll check your Santa bag, I'm sure you'll see that all the items are already in there, except for the books. So if Chloe's Grammy or Nana, oh I mean you and the elves, want any more suggestions for what to get this little angel of mine, you might want to think about those books. :)

6 comments:

Nana said...

Hmmmm. I don't know about Santa but that gave Nana some good ideas.

Diane said...

great list! i really want to check out that ballerina book!! and i'm really diggin' the slipper boots!

trinity just made her list today.

Shelly said...

Awesome Christmas list. I think you could add The Paperbag Princess to that list of stories. :)

Emma said...

I might have to give santa a little help!!!! What about mom?

Grand Pooba said...

I hope Chlo-Chlo get's everything on her list!

Laura Marchant said...

I can't remember the sizes they carried them in but Target had socks/shoes for kids in the shoe department today. They were socks but had regular rubber soles on the bottom. Might work?