Pages

10.16.2008

Traveling Gnomes

Whether cultural myth or not, the story goes like this....

An Australian gnome-owner was distressed when she discovered her gnome had been stolen one weekend in the 80's. A note was found in its place: "Dear mum, couldn't stand the solitude any longer. Gone off to see the world. Don't be worried, I'll be back soon. Love Bilbo xxx."

Later on, she would receive pictures of Bilbo the gnome in exciting parts of the world, such as this one where he is in front of Big Ben in London.

Fast forward 20 years or so, and you'll find me, before I had found my sweetheart. I had just moved into a home with roommates in Salt Lake City. I had the basement to myself, but some decorating had already been done. Everything looked fine, and I even liked how the place looked, but there was one thing that was bugging me - a gnome. Little did I know that one of my roommates had found him at a consignment store, considered him a treasure, and placed him by the fireplace as a focal point to the room. I thought I could just stick him in a closet, and no one would miss him.

I was wrong! But thankfully, my roommate (Amy) didn't take offense or begin a roommate spat. She simply decided to give her gnome a more exciting life than that of simply standing by the fireplace, or worse, being shoved into a dark closet by someone who didn't appreciate his vintage flair. And so began the adventures of Gerome the traveling gnome. Not quite as exciting as the life Bilbo led, but noteworthy nonetheles....

It all started when I got home late one night from an evening out with friends. I stood at my closet, hanging up my clothes, anxious to crawl into my bed, when I felt eyes peering up at me. I looked down to see this:

I giggled to myself, and the next morning Amy found Gerome in the bathroom with her toothbrush:

He didn't travel the world, but went all around our little house, usually mimicking either Amy or myself in some way. He became an honorary roommate, as we would find him at random times in randome spots throughout the house....

playing the piano


getting dolled up


Taking a warm bath

eating breakfast

Speeding off to work

waiting for a kiss under the mistletoe

getting coal for Christmas

playing cards

curled up reading a book

eating dark chocolate and peanut butter in front of the heating vent

Well, life changed very quickly. I met my husband, got married, moved out of the house. Amy and I still met for lunch now and then, but I thought the exciting days of finding Gerome in random places were over. Again, I was wrong! Last fall, I walked out my front door to go to work, and found this:

Gerome in a wicker basket with a note, 'please take care of my baby.

Trick or treaters were not alone on Amy's doorstep Halloween night last year. Gerome was also there:

dressed as a ghost, not a member of the KKK

Who knows where I'll find him next!....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun is that?! Love those pictures! And I loved him in the ghost costume!

Shelly said...

Awww, that made me miss our old roomy days! That's so funny! What a good person to make it into a fun game.

Anonymous said...

LOL That is awesome!!! Now I want to do something like that :D

nikkicrumpet said...

I've been snooping around your blog and discovered that not only are we members of the same church...nice to meet you sister!...but you live in my Home State of Utah...well was my home state....I got dragged out kicking and screaming 7 years ago. And boy do I miss my Utah mountains!
This post was a hoot...the last picture made me laugh so hard I woke up my dogs! What a great ongoing joke!

Shieldsfam said...

That is hilarious! I am laughing so hard. I bet my kids would love something like that. I just might have to go out and get my own Gerome the gnome.

Emma said...

How much fun is that? We have an elf that appears at christmas and brings gifts. This sounds like a blast!

Celine said...

That's just hilarious!!
I had such a good laugh at that post!
Gerome sure is a cheeky gnome! ;o)

Elyse said...

What a fun cute idea! some gnomes are scary to me, but hes a cutie!

What a fun way to keep a friendship alive!

kalea_kane said...

What fun pictures!

Happy Spotlight Day!

Kelly :)

https://bit.ly/3zgmaV7 said...

nice blog,