Pages

11.12.2008

Window to the Soul

When I found out I was pregnant, I scurried around in my nesting mode, getting everything ready.... the nursery had to be perfect! I searched for the perfect picture to place on my baby's nightstand and I found it:

Precious in His Sight, by Greg Olsen
(I think it's more than a coincidence that there is a butterfly in this picture.)

Yesterday, I took Chloe to her 18-month check up. Her regular doctor was in, but he was accompanied by a medical student. The student is just months from finishing her internship. She went through the check-up like a pro. It was obvious she had done this many times before, but she was caught off-guard when she did the eye test on Chloe. When she started waving the light over Chloe's eyes to inspect them, she was brought to tears. She was extremely choked up, but was able to mutter out, with sincerity, "Your eyes are so beautiful." Well, this got me and Chloe's regular physician choked up too. What's more, she didn't need to explain why she was overcome with emotion. Everyone else in that room had already experienced what happens when you look into Chloe's eyes. We knew.


Her eyes are truly breathtaking. It is something beyond description. Pictures do not do it justice. They are a window to her purity and a testimony of God's perfection.

My mom has a portrait of Christ in her front entry way. The other day, I dropped Chloe off for a while so I could run some errands, and honestly so my mom and Chloe could have their time together that they both love so much. As I was leaving, my mom and Chloe stood at the front door to wave goodbye. My mom said she noticed that Chloe was being very quiet. She turned to her to see what was going on. Chloe was staring, mezmerized at the picture of Christ:

Forever and Ever, by Greg Olsen

I think Chloe is mesmerized by Christ because she remembers Him. She is one of His disciples. She bares testimony of His divinity just by being.


I came across this scripture a few months ago, and it struck a chord with me and made me understand what a blessing it is to be able to associate with and love Chloe:

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. ~2 Cor. 12:7-9

I have seen the strenght and power of Christ made manifest through Chloe, because of her pure spirit that is so obvious when you look into her eyes. I do glory in the fact that Oby and I have been given this precious gift, to be her parents and to see Christ's work, and Christ's definition of perfection, through our beautiful daughter. It is such a beautiful blessing in our lives.

13 comments:

Sandy said...

Though it is clear to see that you are so blessed to have Chloe, it is even more clear to see how blessed Chloe is to have you.

Shelly said...

Chloe is so beautiful. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop making me cry, though. :) I love the Greg Olson pictures. I used them to make Reverence Books for the kids so they have pictures of Jesus to look at during the passing of the Sacrament at church. It calms them and they love the pictures.

Mindy said...

That Chloe is so gorgeous! I love coming over here to see pictures of her smiling face =)

Mel said...

She is a beautiful girl! All I can say is that the veil is thin, and angels are near.

On a complete side note... yes I am serious about NKOTB... yikes huh! There was a group of us that went to the concert in 1990, and the same group is reuniting to go to the concert on Saturday! Watch out for that post!!:)

Natalia said...

I choked up at y'all choking up, and then again at your beautiful words. She has definitely touched my heart, as have you :)

Emma said...

When I first started reading this I thought you were making an anouncement. ;) Thank you for sharing! you definately are blessed with a little angel. I love all of the pictures when her eyes are shining!

The Pachuilo Family said...

You sure now how to make me cry. I just love reading about Chloe and all that she is. I even get excited when she hits a mile stone and I have to share it with everyone. Thanks for letting us see into your lives, you truly are blessed!
We love you!

Anonymous said...

What a touching post. You brought me to tears. Though you have had trials, you have become closer to our Savior and Father in Heaven. Chloe has truly blessed your life. And in turn, you have blessed mine by sharing your story.

Celine said...

What a touching and inspiring post Tara...See, that's what brought me to your blog in the first place : Chloe's wonderful smile and eyes. I just couldn't help but smiling and feeling all warm inside when I looked at her.
Thanks for sharing your little miracle with us all.

Jill said...

Okay, so I'm all teary eyed too. I just have to comment again and say that you are so blessed to have that shining star in your home. I think He knew that she needed you to realize her potential and fight for her like you do. You are an inspiration. You make me want to be a better mother.

kalea_kane said...

I have to say that I had misty eyes reading this. I am so glad that your lovely Chloe has your love and the security in the love of Christ. You are all truely blessed. I wrote you in another post about my neice. Can I tell you that she is just the sweetest and dearest. She prays and has the most impressive relationship with God. I think your little Chloe does know exactly who Jesus is.

Bless your heart and your family.

Kelly
A SITSa

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your inspirational story!!! I have both of these paintings in my home. I love paintings of Christ with children, they help me remember how precious my children are, even on bad days.

just jayma said...

I found your blog when I typed "pinterest" into google search. I have devoured every page of your blog.

Thank you for sharing your daughter's testimony of Christ with us, as well as your own. You will never know how many people you have touched by sharing your story.

I wish I could put into words the strength you have given me by sharing your testimonies. Thank you shor sharing Chloe with us. She is beautiful.