Pages

1.19.2009

Farewell

Let me preface by saying this is not a political post.


This is a non-partisan blog.

(Trust me, I learned from my pal Nikki not to go there!)


I anxiously await positive change, just as I'm sure the entire country does. Tomorrow is the beginning of Barack Obama's time in office. I will support him and pray for him as he strives to take us in bold and different directions.

But today is George W.'s last day as president. I want to show him a little respect (mixed with a little light-hearted but well-deserved teasing).

Am I the only one who likes George W.? Again, not speaking for political reasons, just the simple likability of the man, and the fact that I looked to him when our country was in a significant crisis. He has led this country through some remarkable times. Many people may not have liked the way he did it, but he had a noteworthy run nonetheless. Stroll with me down memory lane as I reflect upon:

First, some hysterical George W. Bush moments....

  • His campaign with Al Gore depicted on Saturday Night Live via Will Ferrell.



















In my humble opinion, the Gore/Bush campaign brought forth some of the best SNL moments of all time.


  • The "dangling chad" issue.



  • Bushisms.

"They misunderestimated me." -November, 2000

"Thank you, your Holiness. Awesome speech." --George W. Bush, to Pope Benedict

"A lot of times in politics you have people look you in the eye and tell you what's not on their mind." -April, 2008

.... just to name a few.


And then, some historical George W. Bush moments....

  • 9/11.



"These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve....




"Tonight, I ask for your prayers for all those who grieve, for the children whose worlds have been shattered, for all whose sense of safety and security has been threatened. And I pray they will be comforted by a power greater than any of us, spoken through the ages in Psalm 23: "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me."

"This is a day when all Americans from every walk of life unite in our resolve for justice and peace. America has stood down enemies before, and we will do so this time. None of us will ever forget this day. Yet, we go forward to defend freedom and all that is good and just in our world."

  • The way he welcomed the Obama's into the White House.


  • The living Presidents' Lunch.




  • His optimism for the future.

"President Thomas Jefferson once wrote, "I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past." As I leave the house he occupied two centuries ago, I share that optimism. America is a young country, full of vitality, constantly growing and renewing itself. And even in the toughest times, we lift our eyes to the broad horizon ahead."



Farewell George and Laura!

33 comments:

Heatherlyn said...

What an uplifting post. Each president has something to offer and has made their mark on our country. I find Bush far more likeable as a person than as a President, but why should I judge because I've never had that type of stress and pressure to shoulder? I hope and pray that each President will make better choices than the last.

BloggessJ said...

As much as I didn't like how he ran the country most of his time in the White House, I still think that he did some good things for our country.

I'm looking forward to some change too...Hopefully for the better. But I think things are going to get worse before they get better...But that's just me.

WheresMyAngels said...

Good Riddance!! lol

Actually, I don't have anything against him. We just need change. Course I was hoping that it would of been Hillary.

Shelly said...

Thanks for that, Tara. I liked it. Ol' George must've had a heck of a time these last eight years and I'm sure tomorrow will be a day of mixed emotions.

BloggessJ said...

I have a little something something for your blogs on my blog.

Messy Jess said...

I am very fond of Bush and I am devastated that his term is over. I have nothing against the new president but I am worried about all those unborn children who won't get a chance and I live smack dab in the middle of coal country that he wants to shut down. Let's just say that we are anxiously engaged preparing our emergency supplies, first aid and food storage this year!!

I humbly accept your blog award. You are too sweet. I can't believe your amazing blogs! You put so much time and effort into them - not to mention the LOVE! I haven't been out wandering blogs lately and it was refreshing to read your blogs this morning.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Great post!!!

Thank you for taking the time to gather all these up for us!

Jenkins said...

I love this post. I think it is a good depiction of how many of us feel.
My father had the priviledge of working for President Bush the past several years and he said that the past few weeks have been emotional, lots of tears, big handshakes and hugs. We were just at the West Wing last week for the last time. It is hard when so much of my father's life has been dedicated to this and then...it is over, wiped away as if you were barely there.
Change can be good, we just have to pray for our Presidents and the people that surround them to help make decisions.

Suzi said...

Personally, I liked Bush. He did endure some tough times and had to make some very tough decisions. What we have to remember is that he did the best he could and I am certain that Obama will do the best he can. One man running a nation, we need to give Bush and Obama support for doing a very difficult job.

Nana said...

I like him too. I think he has some endearing qualities, and I love his wife. When He said he would have done some things differently the other day I wish he would have said what they were, or not said it at all. It's a tough job,one that I wouldn't want. I didn't vote for Obama,however as he said, I'm paraphrasing here "You may not have voted for me, but I am your president. That is true and I will support and respect him as such. I wish him the best. I also wish old George the best, as he has said only history will show us the real deal as to what was going on with his decisions. Again I was paraphrasing.

~pen~ said...

that was a nice post. not a bush fan myself, but everyone deserves some respect.

Shalee- Be Speechless said...

I think Bush did everything in his power and what he believe was right during our times of crisis.
I am too looking forward to change.
Thank you for your uplifting post about the Presidents.

Rebecca said...

How lovely to come across a positive post on the president. He's an honorable man, so few people will bother to muster a bit of respect for him, though. Thanks.

Kristi Veale said...

Tara-

Very well said. I do like President Bush and pray that we will all be safe after tomorrow. I'm not a fan of Obama, but I will give him the respect and hope for the best. I watched some of ch. 4 news last night and was very disturbed by one of the churches and their comments with this upcoming change.

Colleen said...

That was a well thought out post! I definitly agree he and Obama both deserve a lot of respect.

April said...

wow, i almost want to cry! what a beautiful tribute.

although I'm not much a for George fan, a lot of American history has happened over the past 8 years!

Kim said...

Yours is the first blog I read every day. Don't tell the other bloggers because they might get jealous, but you (Chloe, too) are my favorite.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Thoughtful post, Tara and all the comedians and SNL writers are Really Gonna Miss Dub.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate that you took time to highlight some things that people forgot about him. He's a good guy at heart!

vsm/whirling dirvish photography said...

Ok first I'm a Texan thru and thru so that means I'm arrogant as hell about my state and the people that come from here. So do I lurve GW? HELL YES! I teach/attend at a University where his Dad has a godddamm library named after him!

I always chalk up a lot of misguided pollitical goings on to ignorance. We the people may be knowledgeable but we still don't know all the goings on. I'm sure he F'd up a lot and right now I really don't like where he let the economy go, but hey it could've been Al Gore doing the same thing.

I will hope and pray with you that Barack Obama will live up to his 'Time for Change' because lord have mercy if we don't need a good swift kick in the ass.

Heather said...

what a great non-partisan post. i think it is good to see both the positive and negative. i too think that we need some change, as will happen any time someone is in "power" for a significant period of time. i hope that the change that has been promised will come...i'd hate to see what would happen if it doesn't!

Jillene said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!! Your blog is great!!

What a great post!! Thanks for sharing!!

Amanda said...

While I am in no way a Bush fan, I never voted for him, I think that he did the best that he could in his extremely difficult time of office. I mean, war, terrorist attacks and economic failure...yuck~!

nikkicrumpet said...

LOL I'm glad I can be a learning lesson on what NOT to do hehehe. I loved this post. Even if you don't always agree with his decisions...he did a job that most people couldn't and wouldn't want to do. And he deserves respect. And thankfully he made a GREAT decision (finally) today and pardoned the two border guards...he deserves big Kudos for that alone!!!

Celine said...

Great post Tara!
I'm currently watching a documentary on George Bush and it's actually flattering and funny!
Farewell to George and Laura!

Andrea said...

I like Bush, too...he just seems like a nice guy. And I love Bushisms. :oD

Anonymous said...

Very well done, bravo! I thoroughly enjoyed the post.

Grand Pooba said...

Nice post! He will be missed one way or another. SNL is going to suck now. :)

Mel said...

I liked good ole GW, but I am ready for change. Hopefully it will be good! I liked how he seemed "human" to me, and not sooo much smarter than me and my little mommy drained brain! Thanks for the award too. I will try to pass it on, but I am not as "well connected" to the blogospere as you are, I'm new to the "big" world of it!!

haggardmom said...

Did he really say 'Awesome speech' to the Pope?? Now that is awesome! LOL

Becky said...

Great post! I like the man and don't think people give him enough credit for all the tough decisions he made!

Keri said...

Ah, President Bush. I can't imagine carrying the burden of our country and all it's crisis on my shoulders. Gotta give the guy props for that alone.

Thanks to you, I got to chuckle at my ignorance. I had no idea there are five living presidents. Goes to show you what I know. Doh!

Merinda Reeder said...

Thanks. I've got some respect for how the man sticks to his guns and does what he thinks is best. We may disagree about what should be done.
It's a tough job. I can't imagine.
Thanks for the post.
I love that you can be non-political and still post about something so strongly political. Well done. I agree, respect is due to the man, as well as his successor.