Pages

1.24.2010

Celebrate We Will, For Life is Short But Sweet For Certain

Jack Higbee 1954 ~ 2010 Jack Dale Higbee, 55, passed away January 2, 2010 peacefully at his home in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was born in Salt Lake February 23, 1954. Jack married Sissy Bennett in 1982. Their marriage was later solemnized in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. He loved all children. Survived by his wife Sissy, children Ashle (Chris) Pachuilo, Brandon (Kallie) Higbee, Jason (Jamie) Jones and grandchildren; two brothers and one sister. A memorial service was held 12 Noon, Saturday, January 23, 2010 at the Rose Park 8th Ward Chapel, Salt Lake City, Utah. In lieu of flowers please contribute to the LDS missionary fund.

I might be weird, but I've always loved funerals and memorials. There is a lot of pain and sadness, and of course I don't like that part, but I love the silver lining -- that family and friends are gathered together to celebrate a person's life, that God's promises of heaven are held so dear, that angels are felt near, that everyone close to the person who passed away has a renewed perspective of what is truly important, and they want to live their life a little bit better so they can be with their loved one again and make them proud in the meantime. There is usually laughter through tears, and that is one of my favorite emotions. And somehow there is always a reminder of God's promises....


God never promised a life without pain,
Laughter without tears or sun without rain.
But He did promise strength for the day,
Comfort for the tears and a light for the way.
And for all who believe in His Heaven above
He rewards their faith with His everlasting love.



It was wonderful this weekend being together with the family, even those we don't see often because they live far away. We truly celebrated Uncle Jack's life and enjoyed the many special memories we have of him. We laughed, we cried, we felt Jack near, and we cherished each other just a little bit more than usual, because we were reminded how precious life really is....



Chloe with her cousins from San Francisco, PJ & Henry




Chloe with her aunt Megan & Aunt Taylor
(here from San Fran)





Ezekeil enjoying my high heels!





Chloe thinks pulling on womens' shirts is a sign of affection.

Apparently she has a lot of affection for Aunt Megan & Auntie Emma (from Wisconsin)





Sera (from Denver), Taylor & Will (San Fran) and Megan


I was too busy enjoying their company to get pictures of everyone. There were also visitors from Washington and all over Utah. It was so good seeing them all and being able to honor Uncle Jack's memory by just being together.

We did a video after the memorial of everyone who was there sharing their favorite memory of Uncle Jack. It was so interesting to me that none of the memories seemed very "major." Everyone's favorite memories of Jack were the little things....



The passing of Uncle Jack and the memorial in his honor have brought to pass some of the most sacred experiences of my lifetime. I am grateful for his life and example of true joy and integrity, of overcoming trials and living life to the fullest. I'm grateful for the knowledge that he is in a better place and that we will see him again. I'm grateful for a family that really knows how to enjoy laughter through tears. I know we will continue to remember Uncle Jack, to commemorate his memory by trying to be a little more like him, and will always love and support his wife and children like he asked us to do.

7 comments:

Shelly said...

You truly have a great perspective, Tara. (Thanks for the encouragement. I really needed it. I actually joined SparkPeople that night after posting because I was feeling so bad about everything. Thanks for the recommendation.)

Uncle Jack sounds like he was a great man and I know your family will miss him. I love your silver lining!!! *Loves!!*

The Pachuilo Family said...

Tara,
Thank you for such a wonderful post about my Dad. You have said everything I wanted to. Thank you for being there for all of us.
We love you and it was good to have all the family together.
We will miss my Dad dearly, but knowing and believing in the gospel brings us so much comfort.

Grand Pooba said...

It's great to reconnect with family that you don't see very often, even if it is under sad curcomstances. But you guys really are supporting eachother. You married into an awesome family!

taynorseth said...

Love the post!! It was a great weekend fat cheek and all.

taynorseth said...

That was Nana, not Taylor.

Grand Pooba said...

I left you a surprise on my blog

Becky said...

What a moving post. Wish I could have met him....