Pages

2.28.2011

Color Conundrum

I've been thinking about color
a lot lately
which made me think of this:



Cute!

So here's the deal.
We live in this cute little cottage house.
We completely remodeled it a year and a half ago...
Well, it's still a work in progress, actually.
But we're getting there.
This spring/summer we're going to really focus on the yard.
Think cottage garden.
I'm so excited!



When we were deciding what color cement fiber board siding to use,
I really wanted to go with something bold....
Red or yellow, maybe even a fun blue.
BUT there isn't a home within a 10-mile radius of my house
that isn't some shade of beige....
Beige siding, beige brick, beige stucco,
beige trim, beige door, beige shingles.
Okay, I may be exaggerating.
You could exchange brown or light brown for any of the above beiges.
Please don't misunderstand.
I love my neighbors and they have nice houses!
But the beige makes me a little depressed.
Okay, maybe a few houses in the area have
splashes of color -- but just a few.
So I was afraid if we did something BOLD,
we would be come those neighbors
who would make people say,
"Well, there goes the neighborhood."
Like these peoples' neighbors probably did:



So we settled on TAN
(yep, a shade of beige)
so our house wouldn't stick out.
But I insisted that we paint the door red,
the trim was white and the shingles were black.
I'm SUCH a rebel!

But now we've got a storage shed.
It's in the backyard,
but it's pretty visible from the main road.
Right now it's just wood.
Wood is a shade of beige]
so I'm sure the neighbors love it!
But I'm going to paint it and I want it to be bold
without being obnoxious.
I want my shed to say,
"We may live in a beige neighborhood, but we like color, darn it!"

But I just can't decide.
What is too much? What isn't enough?
My favorite color combo lately is red, teal/blue and yellow.
So here's what I'm thinking:
yellow shed with a bright blue/tealish door
and a red vintage bicycle with flowers in the basket.
Or mix and match that combo in anyway;
i.e. blue shed with a yellow door and a red bike.
red shed with a yellow door and a teal bike.
Or white with a bright teal door and a red bike.
Here are a few pictures
that sort of capture the look I'm going for.










So.... what do you think?
I need your help.
Please vote
on the right sidebar ---->
Thanks :)

7 comments:

April said...

I LOVE your ideas!!!! I don't think you can go wrong-- I think adding color adds personality, and it makes you smile!!

Merinda Reeder said...

Oh yeah, way fun. I'd say RED shed - the same color as your door. Then add the trim and door and bicycle in a splash of whatever colors make you smile most.
I'm glad you insisted on the red door... it's my favorite thing about your cute house.

Angela said...

yellow shed with blue door and red bike! haha see you shouldn't ask me these things because I get all excited. Yellow makes me think of sunshine, and sunshine and Chloe just go together :)

Becky said...

Your personality EXUDES COLOR! I think whatever you choose will be perfect...can't wait to see.

Holly said...

Your beige land reminds me of the lyrics:

Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

Go BOLD and don't worry about the neighborhood. I'm a big fan of teal and yellow here lately :-)

Nana said...

I think as long as the red is the same color as your front door any of the combo's is cute. I know I am copping out.

Anonymous said...

Good color choice for your siding! It's always best to go for a neutral color because it won't harm the eyes of onlookers. If you want to make your house a knockout, try experimenting with the doors or window frames by giving them a definite statement.

TwinRiversRoofing.net